We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Falmouth Port of Call - Recommendations on what to do?

Rutland, Vermont
Level Contributor
60 posts
365 reviews
Save Topic
Falmouth Port of Call - Recommendations on what to do?

Hi - my wife, myself and our 6 year old son will be stopping for the day in Falmouth Jamaica while on a Royal Caribbean cruise at the end of January. Two years ago, we stopped in Ocho Rios, and before the cruise, I asked the same question here, got alot of great recommendations, and ended up going to Dunn's River Falls and had a great time!

Despite enjoying cruising (it's easy with a young child and there's SO much to keep them entertained), we really try to avoid the "cruise cattle" mentality. Which means we never sign up for the cruise line excursions to get shuffled here and herded there with a hundred other people. When we reach a port of call, we'd rather take off and do our own thing.

So, any tips? Remember, we have a 6 year old, so ATV's, ziplines ... all that stuff is out of reach. Mostly just looking for somewhere beautiful, "relatively" quiet, with a clean beach and water to relax.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Jamaica
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Dunn's River Falls and Park
Dunn's River Falls and...
16,332 Reviews
Jamaica
Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Falmouth Port of Call - Recommendations on what to do?

Wonder if he'd enjoy the Martha Brae raft trip? We didn't do it but passed by and it looked interesting and relaxing, so it's on our list for next time. Patrice of Patmar took us around on our day in Jamaica last week. If you contact her (patbailey52 at yahoo dot com) she might have some ideas. Have a wonderful cruise! We just got off the same ship yesterday.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Pompano Beach, FL
Level Contributor
4 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Falmouth Port of Call - Recommendations on what to do?

Email Island Transfer and tours and tell them your situation. Ask for Byron. He will customize a trip for your family

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Falmouth Port of Call - Recommendations on what to do?

Marthe Brae for sure!! It's a chill vibe so you can relax andyour child will love it!!

You may even have time to go to a local beach before heading back to the ship!

PEACE!

USA
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Falmouth Port of Call - Recommendations on what to do?

We did a great Dunn's River Falls and River tubing tour and its a lot of fun and very family oriented: https:/…FalmouthTubingDunns.htm

Mentioned in this post
Dunn's River Falls and Park
Dunn's River Falls and...
16,332 Reviews
Jamaica
Pennsauken, New...
Level Contributor
65 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Falmouth Port of Call - Recommendations on what to do?

I like to stay near the port and many excursions are a long ride. This just makes me anxious.. What is nearby? Besides just walking thru the port area? Is Secret falls closer that Dunns Falls?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
148 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Falmouth Port of Call - Recommendations on what to do?

You and your son would enjoy the Martha Brae tube float, and you might check into the Bobsled ride too - the 30 year olds traveling with us loved the whole trip (they went on a Princess ship's tour.) That said, my tube float was great, but we encountered a "situation" and were delayed @ 2 hrs. getting back to the ship. I would have been very nervous had I not been on a ship's tour. The road to the Martha Brae is one lane for quite a distance, and if there is a breakdown, the road is blocked until it can be cleared. Our caravan of 4 vehicles (vans & bus) decided to go the roundabout way, avoiding the blockage, but then one of our vans broke down, meaning we were AGAIN stuck till they could push & pull it out of the way so the bus could pass and we could all continue. We were able to fit the occupants in other vehicles but it sure was cozy! We sometimes go on tours offered by others, but the ship's tours will always get you there & back, with no worries.

7. Re: Falmouth Port of Call - Recommendations on what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2014, 05:15