We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for things to do away from spring break crowds

Boston
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for things to do away from spring break crowds

Hello & thanks for a great forum (I've already read through tons of forum messages in my planning so far.)

My husband and I are planning a short getaway in March 14-17 (peak college spring break week) and are looking for things to do away from the crowds. We'll only have 2 1/2 days in Fajardo, unfortunately, as we arrive in the afternoon on the 14th and leave morning of th 17th.

We have been to PR a couple times before and have already explored the San Juan/Old San Juan area. This time we are looking for peaceful white sand beaches, natural beauty, and snorkeling. We would enjoy the jungle but think we don't have time for that this time -- just want some R&R.

We'd like to stay away from the large catamarans. We loved the sound of Erin Go Bragh but they are fully booked. I was thinking of the following:

1/ eve of Mar 16: bio bay tour in Fajardo (love the sounds of the East Island tour to Vieques Biobay but they aren't running it due to the full moon). Questions: Given the full moon, is it still worth it to do the bio bay tour, or should we save it for another trip (I am sure we will be back at *some* point)? We were leaning towards Kayaking Puerto Rico as the tour guide but is the glass-bottomed kayak (Aku Adventures) much better?

2/ Mar 17: Either Aquafari or Miniboats snorkel trip with Kayaking Puerto Rico.

3/ Mar 18: Hire Capt Mingo or other water taxi to take us to Icacos for the day for some quiet R&R. Will this as quiet as I am hoping (ie, very few other people around)? Also, I have heard Capt Mingo is awesome, but his minimum charge is $100 - is there a more cost effective way for two of us to get to one of these remote islands for a few hours?

My husband might like to take a surfing lesson if we have time and it is convenient to do so -- is there anything good nearby? We will have a car.

Muchas gracias!

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Kayaking Puerto Rico
Kayaking Puerto Rico
1,743 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico Bio Bay Tours LLC
Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Puerto Rico Eco Tours
Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours
Pirate Snorkeling Shack
Equipment Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for things to do away from spring break crowds

Bob Roberts ( Phone: 787-435-1760) is a certified surfing instructor and offers lessons in Luquillo.

Mentioned in this post
Luquillo
Luquillo
Puerto Rico
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for things to do away from spring break crowds

For your first worry- Spring Break Crowds- we don't get them. PR is not one of the usual destinations for the crazy college crowd.

Next- your plan. Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want.

You could try Ventajero- it is another 6 person sailboat.

1- Since you plan on coming back, I would hold off on the biobay until the moon is better. Some people say it is still worth doing, but I think it loses some of the magic when it is too light.

2- Do the Aquafari Culebra trip. I loved it and you are closer to nature kayaking. And you get to see Culebra beaches. The miniboats are fun, if you like speed and power. They both go to beautiful beaches. The snorkel trips to Fajardo are ok, but I think the Culebra trip blows them out of the water.

3- I have not found anyone cheaper than Mingo. I don't know his current price, it may be more than $100 now. There was a guy with a sailboat that was cheaper, but he doesn't do it anymore. There is a watertaxi called Tsunami that goes over, but I think it is more expensive., but you can call and ask.

4- Bob is our guy for surf lessons. If he is not available, you can try at Board Riders in La Pared in Luquillo. They also offer lessons.

Mentioned in this post
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Luquillo
Luquillo
Puerto Rico
Boston
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for things to do away from spring break crowds

Thanks very much, Flowerfarm, for all your advice!

We did try Ventajero; unfortunately he has a minimum price of $595 per day which is too much for us.

Glad to hear there is not too much of a spring break craze -- we are looking forward to coming to your beautiful island!

MD
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for things to do away from spring break crowds

Try calling Reynaldo at 1-787-562-4226 he has lower prices I believe .

Connecticut
Level Contributor
100 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for things to do away from spring break crowds

Mini Boats was lots of fun, see the reviews. Bio Bay near Fajardo was good especially when New Moon. Both run by KayakPurtoRico ...top notch outfit. With so little time I dont recommend going out to Vieques for Bio Bay

Boston
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for things to do away from spring break crowds

We just got back from our mini-trip, so I thought I'd post an update. We ended up straying a bit from the original itinerary I posted. The Kayaking Puerto Rico Bio Bay tour was full (more than a week before the trip) so we didn't end up doing that.

We did go surfing with Bob, who was completely awesome. We had a blast (this was our first time surfing) and Bob was really terrific.

We also tried the El Yunque Ziplining, which was well-run -- the guides are fun and very safety oriented. I'm glad we did it; it was an enjoyable experience, but it wasn't quite as thrilling as I expected, nor as active.

Finally, we did the Kayaking Puerto Rico Aquafari tour (snorkeling on Culebra). Culebra (especially Flamenco Beach) was GORGEOUS but our time there was severely cut short by a very delayed ferry. Overall, we enjoyed the trip but felt like it could have been run a little more efficiently to allow for more snorkeling time (and we were really dismayed to have only half an hour, including lunch, at Flamenco -- this was not KPR's fault, but travelling back and forth via ferry does take out a huge chunk of the day).

Overall, we had a fabulous and relaxing time!

Mentioned in this post
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
7. Re: Looking for things to do away from spring break crowds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 14:17