We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Rico vs. St Thomas, USVI

Sarasota, Florida
11 posts
Save Topic
Puerto Rico vs. St Thomas, USVI

We are planning a 7 night getaway with the kids (8+12) for mid June. Looking at the El Conquistador in Fajardo, as well as the Sugar Bay Resort in St Thomas.

We are annual visitors to Aruba and love it there as well, but wanted to try one of these places as well.

Looking for honest opinions, perhaps some of you have been to both.

Looking at Sugar Bay in STT, it's hard to tell what the beach is like there.......is it super-tiny? The pix shown on the websites are few and far between of the beach area.

Any/all info would be greatly appreciated:

Cleanliness of resorts, quality of the accomodations

Food quality at resort and nearby

The people

The area

Resort staff- friendly or attitudes?

Thank you very much!

Seattle
Level Contributor
27 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Rico vs. St Thomas, USVI

Resorts in Puerto Rico seem to be held to a slightly higher standard than those on St. Thomas. I stayed at both El Conquistador and Sugar Bay last week and would recommend opting for Fajardo.

The El Conquistador is an amazing resort I would recommend to anyone. The resort is huge, impeccably maintained and breathtakingly beautiful. It's designed in a way that makes it very easy to navigate the various areas with minimal effort. The employees are all very friendly and professional. The service is excellent. The resort's white sand beach is on a private island (a short free ferry ride away). The island also features horse back riding, hiking, cool lizards and sparkling blue water. Every day there are all sorts of activities (kayaking in the bio bay, snorkeling, etc) and the place even has an arcade with really up to date games in it! The pools are clean, not overcrowded and numerous, they even have a water park. My only complaint about the place was that everything was pretty pricey. If you are driving from San Juan, I would recommend picking up some snack foods and bottled water at a grocery store or Walgreens along the way... everything costs about twice as much at the resort!

The drive to the resort is about an hour from the San Juan airport and you get to pass through the rainforest. Once at the resort you really don't need to leave, but if you do want to there are many nearby fast food restaurants and a movie theater.

St Thomas, in my opinion is over rated, over run by mosquitoes and far less fun than Puerto Rico. Sugar Bay was the lowest point of my St. Thomas experience. The resort is overpriced, poorly maintained and even buggier than the rest of the island. The beach is practically non existent, the pools are smaller than they look in the pictures and always packed with people. A few team members were rude and many were unprofessional . The resort does have iguanas in the trees, which I thought was pretty cool. My room was full of ants for some reason. The food scarce and grossly overpriced and there wasn't anything else within walking distance of the resort.

Go with El Conquistador, it's the sort of place a kid will never forget vacationing at and equally appreciable as an adult!

Edited: 21 May 2012, 03:40
Sarasota, Florida
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Rico vs. St Thomas, USVI

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this info, it is very helpful.

Seattle
Level Contributor
27 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Rico vs. St Thomas, USVI

No problem!

Ponder, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Rico vs. St Thomas, USVI

we are heading to Puerto Rico in 2 weeks. Did you feel safe driving around?

Thanks,

5. Re: Puerto Rico vs. St Thomas, USVI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 07:40