We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seven Seas vs. Luquillo Beach

Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Seven Seas vs. Luquillo Beach

We have a day set aside to spend at the beach in the Fajardo area, and are wondering which beach is preferable to visit: Seven Seas or Luquillo? We will be there on a Wednesday in early February. What are the good and bad things about both beaches? Thank you for your suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
The Fajardo Inn
The Fajardo Inn
1,008 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Luquillo
Luquillo
Puerto Rico
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seven Seas vs. Luquillo Beach

I have been to Luquillo Beach many times and it has gotten overdeveloped with all of the food kiosks and vendors and and it gets very crowded at times, particularly during the weekends. I prefer beach areas in their natural state without all of the commercialization. The only thing I can say about it is that when you are in the water you have the El Yunque rainforest in the background and its a beautiful scene.

IMO Seven Seas Beach has better water quality and the water is crystal clear with varying hues of blue in the distance and its very calm due to the offshore coral reef. It does not have the development around its perimeter like Luquillo and the crowds are not as large, although in the wintertime PR's from the island tend to avoid the beaches.

Edited: 16 December 2012, 16:03
Mentioned in this post
Luquillo Beach
Luquillo Beach
982 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Luquillo
Luquillo
Puerto Rico
Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seven Seas vs. Luquillo Beach

Thank you for your suggestions. I was leaning towards Luquillo beach, but you made some excellent points. I have read in other places that Seven Seas beach can have a problem with garbage from time to time. Is this true, and if so, how big of a problem is it?

Mentioned in this post
Luquillo Beach
Luquillo Beach
982 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Seven Seas Beach
Seven Seas Beach
223 Reviews
Puerto Rico
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,893 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seven Seas vs. Luquillo Beach

I vote for Balneario Monsserate in Luquillo. It will be almost empty midweek February. It is always cleaned and has someone who rents chairs/umbrellas and cleans the bathrooms/shower/changing rooms ($1 for the day for use). It is maintained. Water can be a bit murky by shore due to the fine sand.

I have been to Seven Seas many times and have never seen the bathrooms or showers in good repair. Sometimes there is a stall or 2 that are usable, but not always. And the showers have been broken since they were put in (and then taken out). The restaurant was closed last time we went, so no food/drinks were available. I have not been there recently, so I don't know if these things have been upgraded. And it is not always raked of natural debris/trash in off season (Feb).

Mentioned in this post
Luquillo
Luquillo
Puerto Rico
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seven Seas vs. Luquillo Beach

When I was there in June the beach was spotless. The fact is that depending on the day or the time of day or the month you visit, Luquillo Beach can also be trashy. I once took a friend there to see this "world famous" beach one weekend and it was litered with trash from one end to the other. What an embarrassment and disapointment that was! Both beaches are public beaches operated by the government and there is no doubt that Luquillo Beach is more popular, but the water quality at Seven Seas was much better than Luquillo Beach and there was hardly a person there. We brought an expensive styrofoam cooler with all of the food and drink we needed for the day and hand wipes, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Luquillo Beach
Luquillo Beach
982 Reviews
Puerto Rico
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seven Seas vs. Luquillo Beach

Both beaches are part of the international Blue Flag Beach program and the criteria for this program requires that the facilities be in good repair, the water quality level meet strict standards, have lifeguards on duty and the beach be cleaned regularly.

Edited: 17 December 2012, 00:18
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seven Seas vs. Luquillo Beach

http://www.blueflag.org/Menu/Awarded+sites/2012/Southern+Hemisphere/PuertoRico/List/Beaches

7. Re: Seven Seas vs. Luquillo Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 05:16