We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking at ferry dock or Ceiba airport: cheaper? safer?

South Burlington...
Level Contributor
85 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Parking at ferry dock or Ceiba airport: cheaper? safer?

We will be renting a car in San Juan and then flying to Culebra from Ceiba and taking the ferry back a few days later. Rather than pay the drop-off fees each way, I realized it is cheaper and easier just to park the car while we're on Culebra. Should we park at the airport and then take a cab from the ferry dock to the airport when we return, or should we park at the ferry dock and take a cab from there to the airport before our flight? What does each parking option cost? Is one parking area safer or more secure than the other? Will it be fairly easy to get a cab from the ferry dock to the airport (on a Wednesday, mid-day) to get there in time for our flight? Any idea what the cab ride will cost?

Thanks, as always!

Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking at ferry dock or Ceiba airport: cheaper? safer?

We flew out to Culebra from Ceiba earlier this month. We parked the car shortly after 6 am on a Thursday, and picked it up aroud 4:45 the next day. It cost $15.52 to park there for that time period. It was nice that they accepted credit cards for the parking fee. While I did not go to the ferry parking to check it out since we had decided to fly instead, I can say that the parking at the airport seemed very safe and secure.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
492 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking at ferry dock or Ceiba airport: cheaper? safer?

The ferry parking is pretty busy and crowded. The airport is in the middle of nowhere. We left our luggage in our trunk (only wanted a few days stuff flying to Vieques) and felt perfectly safe.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
492 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking at ferry dock or Ceiba airport: cheaper? safer?

One thing to consider though is that Ceiba is farther south than Fajardo, so if you park at the Ferry dock, you have a shorter drive back to SJ. I probably would consider that strongly. I think I saw security around the ferry parking, so it's probably just as safe. Just leave all things out of sight.

South Burlington...
Level Contributor
85 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking at ferry dock or Ceiba airport: cheaper? safer?

Thank you! Does anyone know the daily parking rates for each? (We will be spending another night in the Fajardo area before flying out of San Juan the next day, so we don't need to rush back to San Juan.

pa
Level Contributor
888 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking at ferry dock or Ceiba airport: cheaper? safer?

When we were there in August the airport parking was $8.50 a day not sure about the ferry I was thinking I might have saw a prices somewhere that the ferry parking is a block a way and is $5.00 day.

Bentonville
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking at ferry dock or Ceiba airport: cheaper? safer?

We are planning to do the exact same thing.

Any information on transportation from Ceiba to Fajardo? Is it easy to find a cab or are there any shuttle services?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking at ferry dock or Ceiba airport: cheaper? safer?

+1 to "Any information on transportation from Ceiba to Fajardo? Is it easy to find a cab or are there any shuttle services?"

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking at ferry dock or Ceiba airport: cheaper? safer?

I just spoke to a friend who took the ferry from Fajardo a few months ago. He said they passed a few stores that had frequently been broken into and subsequently had to close down due to the losses. Does anyone know how bad crime is in the Fajardo area? Is it safe to leave an unattended rental car parked there, or will that get broken into also?

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking at ferry dock or Ceiba airport: cheaper? safer?

emv8 - Are you expecting someone to answer "Yes, your car will be broken into?"

Edited: 28 March 2013, 21:31
Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking at ferry dock or Ceiba airport: cheaper? safer?

Ram R,

How did you go about about your trip, we are considering the same thing, flying one way and taking the ferry one-way. Where did you park your car and was it safe? Did you take a cab from/to airport from/to ferry dock?

Get answers to your questions about Fajardo