We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fajardo vs Vieques BioBay ?

Kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Fajardo vs Vieques BioBay ?

Is the electric boat in fajardo as good of a view of the biobay as the East Island trip to Vieques? I did not realize you could do electric boat in Fajardo - thought they were all kayaks. I thought I read that the Vieques is a brighter bay. Seems like that is pricey and takes from 5 to 10 pm with the boat ride, dinner, etc. Not as concerned with the price if the trip is a lot better. Can anyone compare the two with electric boats (not planning to do kayak) ?

Thanks

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fajardo vs Vieques BioBay ?

They are both nice, but the Laguna Grande biobay in Fajardo is exposed to more indirect light pollution and gets to be more crowded with all of the tours.

Edited: 06 May 2013, 03:00
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fajardo vs Vieques BioBay ?

i have never been to the one in fajardo but the consensus is that the one on vieques is better but not worth the trip just for it.

custer, MI
Level Contributor
34 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fajardo vs Vieques BioBay ?

OK, we were planning a trip around the island- We will rent a car and was thinking about going over to Vieques during the day and come back the next day. We will have to leave 1 rented car in fajardo while we take the ferry over to the island and rent another car to get around the island.

IS it worth all the hassles(beaches and bio bay) to have to go though the ferry hassle and security of a car left behind in Fajardo?

Thanks

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fajardo vs Vieques BioBay ?

in my opinion, it is worth it. just make sure the moon is in an favorable phase so that it doesn't drown out the light from the bay.

if you go over early you can hit a beach that day. maybe two if they are close together, like red Garcia secret and blue. or sun bay media luna and navio(must see). that will all make it worth it. you may even decide to stay an extra day.

In Fajardo, [ark in the paid lot for security. DO NOT leave anything valuable in it and don't leave the ticket in the open.

you will have a great time, Vieques is awesome.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fajardo vs Vieques BioBay ?

We went to Vieques for 2 nights, primarily to see the biobay. That is when swimming was allowed, and it was a magical experience. I also took a great tour with Bayoya Adventures around the island.

Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fajardo vs Vieques BioBay ?

If you can afford the extra cost and time commitment of doing the biobay in Vieques, it's absolutely worth it --- brighter/healthier, and less light pollution. As far as I know, the health of the Fajardo biobay has improved, so it's worth considering. I have not done the Fajardo Biobay, but I have done the Vieques BioBay twice. First time we spent the night, which gets complicated because of renting a car, and deciding where to stay, eating, etc. We experienced it in kayak, which I loved. I'm not sure if you can swim now, but at the time I was able to swim, which was magical. Beach hopping was great there. The second time we did the East Island Excursions tour that allows you to see it, and come back the same night without having to spend the night. If you are only interested in Vieques for the biobay, this is DEFINITELY worth considering. For everything involved, it's a good deal, and you will save a bunch compared to spending the night. What I didn't enjoy as much about this second tour, was that it was on an electric boat. People in the boat trying to capture the magic on camera was absolutely annoying with the flashes going off. We got to swim on this one also. Given the choice, I would choose kayaks every time.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fajardo vs Vieques BioBay ?

"I'm not sure if you can swim now, but at the time I was able to swim, which was magical." ..... NO. Swimming is not permitted.

Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fajardo vs Vieques BioBay ?

When we were there visiting in February, we decided for convenience to do the tour of the biobay in Fajardo (we spent a few days on Culebra as well). Our experience in the Fajardo Biobay was fantastic, and I would highly recommend it. I don't think you would be disappointed either way, however, A trip to Vieques sounds like a lot of fun as well. Either way, enjoy!

9. Re: Fajardo vs Vieques BioBay ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 August 2013, 13:05
10. Re: Fajardo vs Vieques BioBay ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 05:17