We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fajardo Ferry to Culebra in August

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Fajardo Ferry to Culebra in August

I've read tons about how you need to get to the ferry early to get tickets because they sell out quickly, but seeing that August is considered an off-season in PR, I wondered how bad and early I'll need to get there. I'm thinking of a day trip and so I'd ideally jump on the 9am ferry. Thanks!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fajardo Ferry to Culebra in August

Summertime is not off season for the local population. Puerto Ricans head for the beaches in the summer and Flamenco Beach is a popular destination. Weekends particularly are very busy. Tickets sell out fast.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fajardo Ferry to Culebra in August

After kids go back to school (about August 12th or so), things do slow down, especially during the weekdays. I would think you could get ferry tickets for mid week by coming about 2 hours early. The Fast Ferry contract has been extended, so hopefully things will continue as scheduled, assuming no storms or other issues pop up.

Manati, Puerto Rico
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fajardo Ferry to Culebra in August

I was able to go to Culebra just ONCE and tried 3 different times to get tickets. It's a pretty stressing experience. There are fights and people cutting the line. The day of success I arrived at 3am in the morning at Fajardo, there was a very long line. So, I recommend you to arrive very very early and sleep in the line until they open for ticket selling. If you make the 1st 20-50 you're lucky.

Never go on weekends, it's going to be very hard to get there. Don't go in Late November or the 11th, December, April, Summer, or during important holidays (check Puerto Rico & USA holidays).

I'd heard some people get the tickets the day before on the afternoon... others are lucky if the personnel pick up the phone for reservations.

Good luck.

Edited: 06 August 2013, 18:49
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
175 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fajardo Ferry to Culebra in August

I have taken the ferry and it is quite an experience and long wait. If you can fit it in your budget, a plane ride over is much faster and a lot less stressful.

5. Re: Fajardo Ferry to Culebra in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 August 2013, 13:05
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fajardo Ferry to Culebra in August

read the advice given, especially about flying.

if you are on vacation, just spend the money to fly.

7. Re: Fajardo Ferry to Culebra in August

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 August 2013, 13:05
Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
175 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fajardo Ferry to Culebra in August

I was at the ferry terminal last Saturday and there were hundreds of people that didn't get on. You best bet is doing it on a Monday

EllisPR

9. Re: Fajardo Ferry to Culebra in August

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 05:17