We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bioluminescent bay at Farjado

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
bioluminescent bay at Farjado

Hi Puerto Rico travellers,

just wanted to give a heads up about the bioluminescent bay at Farjado.

We went on Tuesday 12 November and there was a sudden unexpected drop in the number of organisms, there was no glow or sparkles. If you looked REALLY hard and used your imagination you could maybe make out a couple of tiny sparks. the guides said its about 0.5% of the usual brightness.

we were all terribly disappointed to have seen nothing. the tour companies are obviously also very worried about this new situation. they dont know what has caused this sudden drop but they said they are going to send some samples. i havent heard anymore updates.

our tour company told us of the situation before we went and offered a full refund or to do just night kayaking at 50% of the price which we did and enjoyed anyway.

just wanted to give people a heads up in case the biobay was their main attraction to visit puerto rico.

if you know of any news or updates about the bioluminescent bays in farjardo or puerto rico please post and let us know!

Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
179 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: bioluminescent bay at Farjado

Everything is back to normal. I've had many people out the last couple of weeks and evreryone was happy. Just don't try to get on the same day. Book ahead

Ellis

Puerto Rico

Orion
Level Contributor
84 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: bioluminescent bay at Farjado

Does anyone know what the bioluminescent bay situation is like now? December? Last posts were middle Nov. sighting bad experience not visible.

Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
179 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: bioluminescent bay at Farjado

There is no difference in December except it might be a little cooler at night. Everything is good.

Ellis

Puerto Rico

California
Level Contributor
714 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: bioluminescent bay at Farjado

Went last night. The guide said it was about 40-50% of normal. I was a bit disappounted in the bay but happy with the amount of bioluminesce in the mangrove area so the dimness in the bay probably was due to too much moonlight.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: bioluminescent bay at Farjado

We have had lots of rain lately, and large waves/surges- all that affects the glow also. But I am glad you were able to see something in the darker areas.

CT
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: bioluminescent bay at Farjado

Is the biobay back to normal? I'm planning to book a trip for early February. Thanks!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: bioluminescent bay at Farjado

I will be in San Juan one day prior to boarding a cruise and this is one of my "must see" pre-cruise excursions. I will not have a car rental and am wondering if the companies offers transportation, or if you know if there is public transportation available, or cost of a taxi, as it seems like it is far from the city where I will be staying near the cruise ship dock. Any help/suggestions are appreciated. :)

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: bioluminescent bay at Farjado

Kayaking Puerto Rico offers transportation for an extra cost.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: bioluminescent bay at Farjado

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know about any companies that have the electric boat rides rather than the kayaks, that offer transportation? Still debating on the kayak. ;)

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: bioluminescent bay at Farjado

None of the electric boat companies for the Fajardo bio bay offer transportation. But almost all the kayak tour companies do.

If you want, you can do East Island adventures tour to the Vieques Biobay (no kayaking involved) and they can provide transportation.

A taxi is cost prohibitive unless you are in a group (about $80 each way).