We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Rico trip

Which Fajardo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Rico trip

My family is planning a trip to Fajardo Puerto Rico in April. I am able to watch the Puerto Rico news so I am aware of the problem with crime in Puerto Rico, lots of car jackings and shootings. I am specially concern about driving in Puerto Rico as I hear that a lot of people there drive pretty crazy. I would have preferred visiting a smaller island like Vieques, but the majority ruled in my case. By the way I was born in Puerto Rico, left about forty years ago and this is the first time going back. Any advice or input will be appreciated.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Rico trip

So what do you want to know?

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Rico trip

Driving here is not that bad. The accident rate is probably the same as any US state. I feel safe driving here.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Rico trip

Not sure there are "lots" of carjackings and shootings....there are some, just like anywhere else.

Driving is just like in any big city. People don't use signals, run on red lights, etc. Not exactly stress free, but doable. Maybe some one else from your party can do the driving.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Rico trip

I want to clear out that it is rare seeing someone run on red lights. However, in our culture when the yellow light is on, people tend to accelerate to try to cross it, instead of slowing down, so technically someone could be crossing a red light immediately when it turned red. For precausion the lights are set up so that when the red light is on in a lane, the light in the other lane takes a few seconds to turn green. You can be extra precausion and wait a few seconds when the light turns green.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Rico trip

The driving isn't that bad. I live in a city with a population of 70,000 and it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. It's just a matter of preparing yourself that not everybody signals, and there are times when it is necessary to merge, etc agressivley.

We drove 1400 miles in the 16 days we were there without incident, I'm sure you can too :)

6. Re: Puerto Rico trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:21