We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ponce or Fajardo?

Which Fajardo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Everett, WA
Level Contributor
99 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Ponce or Fajardo?

We are spending 3 days in Old San Juan. We want to experience other parts of the Island. Which is a better location for a base for 3 days Ponce or Fajardo?

I have a reservation at the Ponce Hilton but could switch to the El Con.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ponce or Fajardo?

They're both very different, so it'll depend on what you're looking for. Ponce is a city, so traffic and everything else is expected. Fajardo is more relaxed, and nice beaches are in town, or close by. El Yunque and the Luquillo beach are nearby. So is the ferry to Vieques and Culebra.

Ponce is very historic. It has the Tibes Ceremonial Park (below), as well as the Serrallés mansion, and it's not far from the Coamo Thermal Baths. However, the closest beach is about 45 minutes west, in Guanica. Ponce can also be sketchy after dark, and therefore, I do not recommend leaving the hotel grounds at night.

Which one to pick depends on which one appeals the most to you.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/tibes/

Edited: 11 June 2014, 23:03
Everett, WA
Level Contributor
99 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ponce or Fajardo?

Thanks. A day trip to Ponce is probably better. I would like to go a coffee plantation and the Tibes site. How long of a drive from Fajardo?

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ponce or Fajardo?

As Paris and I tend to agree on these things.

Its 2 areas.

If its your first trip, Fajardo.

Do Ponce next time when you can do so of the good cultural things.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ponce or Fajardo?

probably about 1 1/2 hours. depending on day and time.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ponce or Fajardo?

I liked both locations, but if I had to choose one, I'd choose Fajardo as it's a good gateway to many other nearby attractions and the beaches in the area are better.

Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ponce or Fajardo?

There is so much to do at or near Fajardo, that it's probably generally regarded the better "base." But Ponce is worth doing, and it's worth considering as a base, too. The Seralles Mansion (Castillo Serralles) is great, and Hacienda Buena Vista is worth checking out. In addition there is Tibes and La Guancha nearby, and places like Caja de Muerto, Gulligan's island, Toro Negro, and Guanica within a reasonable distance. But most importantl is that it's within striking distance of the spectacular Cabo Rojo Lighthouse, and the beautiful beach (La Playuela) adjacent to it.

7. Re: Ponce or Fajardo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 05:16