We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Pena Mar, in Fajardo, really like?

Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What's Pena Mar, in Fajardo, really like?

Hi, There are many nice rentals in this complex, before deciding I am trying to figure out if it's the right place for a family with 3 boys: 16, 13, and 10?

1. How close (just steps, or blocks) to the Beach? Must you cross any busy streets?

2. Is the closest beach 7-Seas?

3. Does the area around Pena Mar feel like a neighborhood?

4. Are there yummy restaurants, convenience store or market in walking distance?

5. Is Pena Mar clean and friendly?

6. Are there any hidden resort gems in Fajardo that aren't advertised?

Appreciate your input?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's Pena Mar, in Fajardo, really like?

It has been about 5 years since I stayed there. We had a nice apartment with a roof top deck. The pools are nice, it seemed very safe.

It is a 15 min car ride to Seven Seas beach. It is closer (maybe 7 mins car ride) to Los Machos beach in Ceiba.

Pena Mar is a second home apartment complex. Very empty.

No real convenience store or restaurants nearby except inside the Marina. I guess you could walk there.

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's Pena Mar, in Fajardo, really like?

We are staying in Pena Mar right now. I'm sitting on the balcony enjoying the ocean breeze as I write this, taking in the view of the ocean on one side and the rain forest on the other. I would say that about half of the units are filled up right now. There are three pools and the grounds are beautiful. They seem to have good security at the gate. Outside of the complex there's not much to do within walking distance other than the marina directly across the street from the entrance where there is a small restaurant right on the water. There are some good restaurants that we've tried within a few minutes drive. I believe that seven seas is the closest beach but again you would have to drive there. The condos make a convenient location for visiting the rain forest the ferries, the bioluminescent Lagoon and luquillo. The units are very large and comfortable.

If you want to get a place that's within walking distance of the beach and restaurants you might want to check near seven seas or luquillo.

Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's Pena Mar, in Fajardo, really like?

Thank you for the response, do you think it Pena Mar will be empty in December too?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's Pena Mar, in Fajardo, really like?

It will be pretty empty in December. Maybe about 30-50% full sometimes between Xmas and Jan 6th. But probably not that busy much of that time.

Jericho, Vermont...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's Pena Mar, in Fajardo, really like?

We are arriving in San Juan next week and all of a sudden my husband is worried about the safety there!!! Can you tell me your experiences?

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,534 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's Pena Mar, in Fajardo, really like?

"Can you tell me your experiences?"

I lived in PR for 25 years, and still visit my family there twice a year. The touristic areas are safe. If you're not into illegal business and transactions (drugs, etc), you'll be just fine. Otherwise will call for a longer vacation with a free stay at a Federal institution, or a short stay at the morgue. But I have the feeling this will not be your case, and your vaccation will, in fact be very enjoyable.

The general rule that applies to any large city or unfamiliar areas anywhere, also applies to PR: common sense (don't wander into shady areas nor try to do illegal business), stay away from poorly lit areas such as the beaches, don't invite strangers to your hotel, let alone your room, and you'll be ok.

Edited: 24 July 2014, 17:30
Ann Arbor, Mich.
Level Contributor
450 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What's Pena Mar, in Fajardo, really like?

When paris says stay away from poorly-lit areas (like beaches), she obviously means at night. But if you're reading the rest of the forum, you will know that, while the beaches are safe during the day, you should never leave personal belongings unattended for any amount of time. Never.

8. Re: What's Pena Mar, in Fajardo, really like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 05:15