We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meke Nights

Which Denarau Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide
Level Contributor
184 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Meke Nights

Where is the best place in Denarau to experience a Meke night? What is involved and how much is it?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
184 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meke Nights

Or a Lovo night...what is the difference? I have seen references to both

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
545 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meke Nights

Meke - is the dance performance

Lovo - is the food - traditionally cooked in the ground

I am assuming that you are staying on Denarau, if this is the case I would suggest that you do a tour to Robinson Cruisoe Island - it is located about one hour from Denarau. The tour includes bus & boat transfers to the island. They do a full day tour and a nighttime tour.

robinsoncrusoeislandfiji.com/daycruise.htm

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meke Nights

Sonaisali does a Meke and Love each week and you will find its within 30mins drive from Denarau. But also you will find most resorts do these each week its like tradition and a great way for visitors to experience fijian dancing and cooking. Both are awesome and the Lovo underground cooking at most places you can take part and watch how they do it. The smell and taste of the food is awesome! Check with the resort you are staying at or the suggestion of Robinson C would be a good one!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
184 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meke Nights

Thanks!

We are staying at The Radisson so I might email them

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meke Nights

Although we didn't go, we did see the set up at the Westin a few times as we walked past to our room. The area where it was held looked very nice with an undercover area for eating.

Several people came from other resorts.

I believe it was $FJ 85 each and I think it was held on Wednesday and Saturday nights.

Sydney
Level Contributor
87 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meke Nights

I was going to do the Robinson Crusoe dinner trip, but wanted a more romantic type of dinner/meke. We decided to do the Sunset Cruise to First Landing Resort. This was one of the highlights of my trip.

They pick you up from your hotel and take you to the Marina. From there you board an amazing catamaran and sail around Nadi Bay for 40min or so - great photo opportunity with the sun beginning to set in the background.

Once you get to First Landind (which has a man made foot shaped island coming off it as well) you are greeted by Fijians in traditional dress and welcomed to the island. Once inside, you are treated to a 3 course meal and there are many different options for food. I had a lamb shank in rosemary and vege sauce covered in filo pastry - delicious!!! The drinks are amazing and fairly well priced; we got a cocktail in a coconut!

During the main course, the Meke is performed. You see many different styles of dances, indicative of the different regions in the Pacific. After dinner, there is a fire show which is incredible and after that you are invited to join in a Fijian dance - something which I thoroughly enjoyed!

After all of this, you sail back on the catamaran under a starlit sky to the marina and get transferred back to your hotel.

It cost $110 FJD for everything (not including drinks, but they are very reasonably priced). Amazing amazing photo opportunities, great food, beautiful people and a great look at Fijian life.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
184 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meke Nights

Thanks so much! Lots to consider!

Do any of these places pull people from the crowd and force them to perform? This would be my worst nightmare!

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
545 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meke Nights

At most meke's they do like to involve guests but you can politely say - no thank you - without offending anyone.

As the other posters have stated most hotels will do a meke performance but if you want as close to traditional as you can get (for a tourist) Robinson Crusoe's is the best.

If you just want to see the meke and enjoy ala carte food then go with polkadot's recommendation of First Landing.

Really comes down to what sort of experience you are after - either one would be great.

9. Re: Meke Nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2010, 05:16