We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are they trying to stop pool hopping?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Are they trying to stop pool hopping?

A friend mentioned that the resorts were trying to discourage pool hopping between resorts. I would be disappointed if this was the case as I saw this a being a real plus with staying on Denarau Island.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case, my family has plans to travel there in Dec.

Many thanks in advance

Edited: 30 October 2010, 16:37
Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are they trying to stop pool hopping?

Bula

When we were there in March most of the resorts had signs saying that the pools were fore guests only but it didn’t appear to stop anyone from using them and they want you to use the bars and restaurants so I think if you don’t misbehave and become a nuisance you will be fine. A cruise ship came into Denarau when we were there and lots of the passengers used the resort facilities and pools and no one asked them to leave they even supplied a free bula bus to bring them from the ship

Dave

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,025 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are they trying to stop pool hopping?

A lot of house guests have issues with pool hoppers taking up sun lounges etc and extra kids creating noise. It would be a hard thing to police as they wouldn't want to offend legit guests by questioning them. Not something I would do anyway. A lot of the island resorts don't take day trippers for this reason.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are they trying to stop pool hopping?

Why would you want to? Too far to go back to your room after your swim. Seems like very bizarre and rude behaviour to me and I would be glad if the resorts enforced guest only rules around the pools. Absolutely HATE it when you are staying somewhere and paying for all the facilities and get an influx of cruise ship guests. We can't go and get on their ship and use all the facilities.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are they trying to stop pool hopping?

I think what Daveis said is right-be subtle about it, dont hog the loungers, dont bring in a truckload of screaming kids, make sure you buy some drinks or lunch & you should be fine.

One thing I did notice in our visits to all the Denarau resorts is that they all have different coloured pool towels, so if you bring your Sheraton towel to the Hilton for example you are screaming "blow in".

Edited: 31 October 2010, 09:51
Fiji
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are they trying to stop pool hopping?

This kind of thing comes and goes depending on how busy the resorts are. I have had instances of being told we couldn't swim at Radisson. We have swum at Sheraton without issues. I haven't tried the others though!

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,025 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are they trying to stop pool hopping?

Still wouldn't do it, if another resorts pool is better than where you are staying stay at the other one.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are they trying to stop pool hopping?

Agree with tez and hooked, wouldn't like it if I was at a resort and everyone else from the surrounding resorts rocked up to use all of the facilities. Bad enough trying to get a lounge around the pool at some resorts as it is without extras.

At least some of the resort like Mana and Castaway limit the number of day trippers allowed.

Nola :)

8. Re: Are they trying to stop pool hopping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2011, 05:16