We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sonaisali island resort

Which Denarau Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tamworth
1 post
Save Topic
Sonaisali island resort

My family and I are planning on going to Fiji Sunday 15th April staying at Sonaisali for a week then Fiji Palms at Deuba can anyone advise if they would still recommend we go and what the current situation is with power, water and food. I have heard food prices may have doubled with 2 teenage boys who eat constantly prices could be a deterring factor.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sonaisali island resort

Fiji and its wonderful people are suffering probably far worse than we did in floods last year and they desparately need all tourists to keep coming and support their economy. Get fresh fruit from roadside stalls to fill up your boys - you'll find the pricing miniscule in comparison to buying junk food in Australia. At Sonaisali, the pricing shouldn't change, particularly if you have a meal deal.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,789 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sonaisali island resort

tez

Most of the crops have been wiped out so I don't think there will be that much fresh fruit on stalls for a while - and certainly not at low prices. Crops that survived could be contaminated so I'd be very careful buying anything. The resorts will know, hopefully, who they're buying from.

There are moves to provide local residents with seedlings so that replantings can take place. But even in the tropics these things take time.

I was talking to a Fijian Indian at our house at the weekend whose father owns a farm at Ba. Everything is wiped out. It was bad enough in January - now total disaster. So food shortages are inevitable. Of course the resorts will be able to import what they need and I read that the government is waiving gst and import tariffs.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sonaisali island resort

It's worthwhile reading the Heath and Safety thread expecially the newer posts, as I assume you will do some self catering at Fiji Palms.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294331-i883-k5…

In the flooded areas the sewer plants had no power or were flooded, therefore there would have been raw sewerage in the waters including rivers and tributaries. Sonaisali is located at the mouth of a river, so I'd give the sea water a miss.

I live in Brisbane where we suffered the worst floods in 2011 since 1974, and it tooks months for the water in our river, creeks and the bay to recover. And our main sewerage treatment plant wasn't flooded nor was the electricity tripped. But there were local sewer overflows. Our city stunk for weeks after, and we were very fortunate to had the resources and health standards to "clean" up some areas much quicker than they can in Fiji.

Additionally our crop growing area of Lockyer Valley was flooded and prices for any vegetables tripled in price and some just weren't available.

I'd be very careful. Also look at the Fiji Ministry of Information facebook page for more info.

LTB

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sonaisali island resort

Ah - see - I did post a thread "how's it going over there" tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294331-i883-k5… and only got back positive responses. Maybe you guys could re-post your responses to that thread too as what you are saying is far more what I expected following a major flood event - similar to what Qld experienced last year. As you say LTB - we have far better resources for getting back on our feet than the Fijians. I think the OP would be better off in resort accommodation than self-contained at the moment??

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sonaisali island resort

Sonaisali responded to a previous poster, saying business as usual. Hope you have a great holiday. Interssted to read a review when you get back.

6. Re: Sonaisali island resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 11:16