We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange rate in Nadi from AUD

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange rate in Nadi from AUD

Hi,

Can someone who has recently been in NADI tell me what exchange rate you received at the Airport.

I heard from "a friend of a friend" that the exchange rate was better than those in Sydney.

The best rate i found in Sydney was about 1.74 FJD for every 1.00 AUD.

I've also heard when using VISA the exchange rates will be terrible, so that's why i was thinking to bring more cash and try not to use the card as much as first planned.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange rate in Nadi from AUD

I do not have current knowledge for the exchange rate other than using XE but generally you will get a better exchange rate in Fiji than in your home country for Fijian dollars. Also using VISA you will incur some credit surcharges which range from about 3-5% so I would try not to use for too much.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange rate in Nadi from AUD

thank you Casey B - i did hear that the rates are better when exchanging in Fiji :)

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange rate in Nadi from AUD

Exchanging currency in Fiji is not always better. Today XE which you can get at any post office is offering AUD $1.82 whilst Lotus Currency Exchange in Nadi is offering AUD $1.76

Coomera, Australia
Level Contributor
258 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange rate in Nadi from AUD

I also heard that the rate is better in Fiji. But when we went last December we got a crap rate at the bank at Nadi airport.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange rate in Nadi from AUD

thanks mana regular - it's hard to know......

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange rate in Nadi from AUD

thanks b0b55 - it's hard to know what to do with so much conflicting information :)

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchange rate in Nadi from AUD

I usually get my currency before i leave australia. I have normally used Travelex as they dont charge me any commission. They have a current rate of $1.72 which is about what it has been for a while now or just a little lower. I always wacth it every day. A few months ago i got some fijian dollars and managed to snap a rate of $1.79 which was great that doesnt happen much on travelex. Shop around and just watch the daily rates if you see a good one snap it up!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchange rate in Nadi from AUD

thanks bluestreak - i actually have just booked through travelex and got a rate of 1.74 which i thought was great !! thanks again for the advice :)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
416 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchange rate in Nadi from AUD

Hello,

Manaregular, you say that XE has the rate at $1.82, which i saw today, but I went to the post office site and the rate is around $1.67.

I looked over the XE website and can't really find out how to order cash. It appeared to be mainly for transfers.

Can you tell me how I can order cash through XE, as the rate seems the best?

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exchange rate in Nadi from AUD

Hi Mum41, agree XE is tricky with money transfers etc. It might be easier for you to have a look at Travelex. Their rate today for Fiji is $174.6. Go to www.travelex.com and you will see they have shops at Charlestown and Kotara.