We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day cruises

Which Denarau Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day cruises

We have the option of a day cruise to either Mana Island or Treasure Island in our holiday package and I was wondering if anyone could advise which in their opinion would be the better choice. Also would you do a full day or a half day on south sea island?

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day cruises

I have been to both Treasure and Mana and I think I would choose Mana. One of the main reasons being its so much bigger than Treasure and therefore heaps more to explore if doing a full day tour.

Make sure to do the walk up to the lookout if you choose Mana for some great pics, and also catch the 'bus' or walk around to Sunset Beach.

Theres great snorkelling from both Sunset and North Beaches and also be sure to check out the chapel.

I cant comment on SSI as I have never been there, but judging from the size of it that I would only do the 1/2 day tour.

Maree :D

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
175 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day cruises

I wouldn't recommend South Sea Island. It is a tiny island purely set up for this tourist trip - it's not that picturesque and it feels very contrived and touristy. I can't recommend an alternative as we only did SSI but we were disappointed. Our experience was that we were dropped at the island, had around an hour or so of spare time (to snorkel, swim etc, snorkelling was average, beach ok but kind of exposed to the open sea) and then were served a bbq lunch. We ate our lunch then the boat arrived to pick us up - the boat doubles as the ferry round the other islands so we then essentially sat on a ferry for a couple of hours while we dropped off and picked up people from Mana, etc. Not really what I'd call a relaxing day cruise. We felt ripped off.

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day cruises

Hi Peter, I agree, give South Sea Island a miss, it is far too small. I suggest you go to Mana, great beaches and snorkeling. Go on the yellow submarine, have lunch and return to Denarau on the 4 p.m. boat. Alternatively, go Mana on the 9a.m. boat, disembark and go on the Seaspray which is an old yacht and cruise around the Mamanucas islands, have lunch on board, snorkel and go to a village for a kava ceremony and to buy souvenirs You return to Mana about 4 p.m Drinks are included in the price. It is a great day .. You can book this through the tourist desk at your hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day cruises

Thanks for the helpful advise we are definitely thinking Mana Island is the way to go

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day cruises

I think you will enjoy Mana.

Be sure to take your snorkel gear.

Maree :D

6. Re: Day cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Denarau Island
Recent Conversations