We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free alcohol allowance on arrival into Nadi?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
270 posts
328 reviews
Save Topic
Duty Free alcohol allowance on arrival into Nadi?

I have read that the duty free alchol allowance entering Fiji is 2 bottles of spirits and 4.5 litres of wine.

Is this correct?

Can we bring in both?

Does Fijian customs even bother to check or confiscate if I bring in 3 bottles instead of 2?

Is the allowance per adult, or per person? With 2 adults and 2 kids, could we bring in 8 bottles of spirits (hypothetically of course!!) :-)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
279 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free alcohol allowance on arrival into Nadi?

Yes you are correct, 2 spirits per person + the wine is the limit and I'm pretty sure you need to be over 18

I made the mistake a few years ago of buying a box of beer on arrival (in addition to my NZ purchased duty free spirits) and it was noticed and was made to pay the extra duty.

In saying that it, the next year I saw somebody in the same situation waved through!

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free alcohol allowance on arrival into Nadi?

According to the following, persons over 17 are allowed 2.25 liters of alcohol, OR 4.5 liters of beer/wine. Not both. If you take over the amount allowed, it must be declared. We prefer not to risk the hassle, so have our driver stop at one of the markets on the way to our resort for additional spirits/mixers, snacks, etc.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c135860/Fiji:…

For other suggestions of what to take with you:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c134773/Fiji:…

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
279 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free alcohol allowance on arrival into Nadi?

I stand corrected and apologise, it is one or the other into Fiji. Was getting confused with NZ's generous allowances where you are allowed both.

Thanks E&C.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free alcohol allowance on arrival into Nadi?

No problem, or need to apologize BulaJules. How much to take can be confusing, especially when some get through taking more than allowed, then others have to pay extra. Guess it depends who is on duty at the time and their mood :) Luck of the draw I guess.

Edited: 01 August 2013, 02:55
New Zealand
Level Contributor
270 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free alcohol allowance on arrival into Nadi?

Thanks for the clarification

noosa
Level Contributor
339 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty Free alcohol allowance on arrival into Nadi?

It is a good idea to bring wine into Fiji, if you prefer wine to spirits/cocktails/ beer.

Cocktails are very reasonably priced compared to wine in Fiji.

We always bring a good quality NZ cask wine from Oz to Fiji, as it is easier to transport then glass bottles.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
270 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty Free alcohol allowance on arrival into Nadi?

Good call on the quality cask wine. Not something I thought of in the past, but maybe a good reason to buy it!

Seaford Rise...
Level Contributor
132 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty Free alcohol allowance on arrival into Nadi?

It won't be confiscated but you may have to pay tax. I took 4x 5 litres of wine and paid 50 fjd. (hubby took his 2 bottles of spirits)

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty Free alcohol allowance on arrival into Nadi?

In the end it's cheaper to take wine (on top of your other allowable duty free) and declare it and pay the tax (if you are asked to). Wine in Fiji is expensive.

I agree with previous posters, cask wine is much easier/safer to pack than bottles.

10. Re: Duty Free alcohol allowance on arrival into Nadi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 05:17