We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I don't get some of the bad reviews about Sonaisali

Tasmania
Level Contributor
448 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
I don't get some of the bad reviews about Sonaisali

A lot of them seem to be from people who have apparently done no research. What's with that?

I haven't even been there yet but I do know that you have to catch a boat for a 3min ride across the lagoon, I do know that check-in isn't until 2pm, I do know what the prices are for meals, I do know that it is a 25min taxi ride from Nadi. How do I know all these things? I read the resort's website and checked the Tripadvisor forums and reviews. Is it really that hard?

Looking forward to visiting and making up my own mind based on how the reality compares to what I already know about the resort my family and I have chosen - three weeks to go :)

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I don't get some of the bad reviews about Sonaisali

Guess it depends on what you want from a Fiji Holiday.

Sure "Bluestreek" DE for Sonaisali will respond as she loves it there. And she will be sure to tell you what she loves about the resort.

If you want blue crystal clear water, a great white sand beach....it's not at Sonaisali.

Have a great holiday, and be sure to try to do some island day trips ex Denarau for comparisons.

LTB

Tasmania
Level Contributor
448 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I don't get some of the bad reviews about Sonaisali

Thanks LTB, you reminded me of the other thing that I do already know about Sonaisali and the main island in general - the beaches and water aren't as pretty as on the islands :) And yes, we will be sure to do at least one day trip if we can drag the kids out of the pool...

I do wonder though, why do we need comparisons? We're going on holiday to relax, not to spend our time trying to figure out if we made the wrong choice.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I don't get some of the bad reviews about Sonaisali

I think the reason why people make comparisons is because location, accommodation, food, amenities etc can vary greatly in Fiji, unlike resorts in Thailand and Bali for example.

Anyway- only 3 weeks to go- have a great time in lovely Fiji

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I don't get some of the bad reviews about Sonaisali

I always like comparing other resorts and seeing other islands and places in Fiji. I then keep them in mind for further trips. So the words have a different meaning for me. Blaze has explained it perfectly!

Have a great time. It'll be much warmer than Tassie weather.

LTB

Edited: 20 August 2011, 02:27
Tasmania
Level Contributor
448 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I don't get some of the bad reviews about Sonaisali

Thanks. I'm certainly hoping it will be warmer :)

It's been a loooong winter!

I do understand what you mean about the comparisons. I was just in a cranky mood after a long, hard week. I certainly need that holiday...

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,024 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I don't get some of the bad reviews about Sonaisali

Will be interested to read what you thought of the resort when you return. We all have very different expectations so hopefully it will suit you. I love the islands and the white sand the snorkeling and the lagoons, don't need western style Fiji like it to be as 'real' Fijian as possible. Hope you have a great time and make sure you come back with a review.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
426 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I don't get some of the bad reviews about Sonaisali

LaniTasmania - i am sure you will have a great holiday. The weather will be alot warmer than home and you have the right idea of what you want out of the holiday. It is time to relax and not find negatives about things. We love Fiji and sure sometimes "Fiji Time" can mean drinks take abit too long to arrive or dinner may seem slow to get to you. But if you are relaxed and enjoying your holiday "Fiji Time" doesn't matter. Have a great holiday. Jacqui

Tasmania
Level Contributor
448 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I don't get some of the bad reviews about Sonaisali

Thanks Jacqi, I'm sure we will have a fabulous time. The point of my original post was that many of the negatives in the reviews about Sonaisali are things that I already know about the place, and I can't understand why the people posting those reviews didn't also know those things before booking and travelling there. I guess not everyone is as obsessive about research as I am though!

There may well be some things that I don't like - it would be boring if everything were perfect after all - but I will be prepared for the location, the beach, the water, the food and the fact that there is a short boat ride to get to the resort. The rest I'm looking forward to discovering :)

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I don't get some of the bad reviews about Sonaisali

Hey Lani! So happy that you only have 3 weeks left till you go on your trip! I know exactly what you are talking bout! I think some of the issues are that some people do not do the research and read up about resorts before they book and then when they arrive to find something different it can make their whole holiday negative. Sure some people do have real issues that do happen while away that might not be positive but others the whole holiday is brilliant! I myself am one that every single time i have been to Soniasali have had an awesome time! I did a load of research about the resort both before i booked and after. The main point for Soniasali is that people assume when it says Island that it has golden sand beaches and crystal clear blue water which as we both know is not the case! This is however made up by the lovely resort pool area complete with kiddie paddle area and spa and also a swim up bar! I am not a real beach goer so not having a nice beach does not bother me that being said you can still swim and also do many water activity and the resort offers many activities to other beaches island day trips which you can soak up! The beach though is still wonderful to go walking on and still to me is a beautiful thing! I to wonder sometimes when i read the other reviews how can people have had such a bad time when every visit i have had has been awesome! I am so hoping you have a great trip and will be looking out for your return and reviews to see what you though! Not long now time to get the bags out and dusted off! 8.5 Weeks for me!

Tasmania
Level Contributor
448 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I don't get some of the bad reviews about Sonaisali

Woo hoo! This time next month we'll be unpacking after our 7 nights in Fiji

:)

Get answers to your questions about Sonaisali Island