We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I choosing the right Wedding destination in Fiji?HELP

Darwin, Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
Am I choosing the right Wedding destination in Fiji?HELP

HI

I have chosen Fiji asour wedding destination in July 2010. I think I like the look of the Sea Side Chapel at the Shangri-La ? I love the beach and as this looks over the water I think it will be perfect. I would just like some feedback on this ? Is Fiji the correct destination - I am looking for somewhere that is romantic that all my friends and family that come along will have a great time and holiday themselves. Would you recommend the chapel at Shangri-la to be married, and would you recommend the Shangri-la as the reception venue,or somewhere else ??? Thanks in advance for your help. I know it is still a little while away, but I need to choose a venue ASAP.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,603 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I choosing the right Wedding destination in Fiji?HELP

Hi

I think Fiji is the perfect place for a wedding however I would personally choose and island resort to a mainland one. Perhaps Tokoriki would be good choice.. The islands to me are the real romantic Fiji. The beautiful white sand beaches and swaying palms. Tokoriki has a beautiful chapel and the honeymoon bures with plunge pool are perfect. Vomo island is another very romantic venue. Perhaps thought you are looking at the guests staying at the same resort.

It is possible to have guests transposted from perhaps Mana Island resort acheaaper accomodation option to Tokoriki for the wedding. Treasure Island also has a lovely chapel and is perhaps more affordable for guests if you wish to have everyone staying at the same place as you. Treassure has a lovely Chapel also.

Darwin, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I choosing the right Wedding destination in Fiji?HELP

Thanks for your advice. I think I would like guests to stay at the same resort and therefore can't be too expensive. I have had a look at treasure island,and it does look nice. Would you choose that over the Shangri-la ? The seaside chapel looks very nice. Decisions, Decisions !

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,603 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I choosing the right Wedding destination in Fiji?HELP

My preference is always an island. The mainland resorts are too big for my liking and I can stay in similiar in Australia. I love the smaller islands with the white sand and beautiful lagoons and find them far more relaxing. I would go for Treasure the chapel is lovely.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,603 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I choosing the right Wedding destination in Fiji?HELP

Hi again,

Just had another thought. Matamanoa might work for yu. Apart from the bure acomodation they have garden room that are pretty reasonable and this might suit your guests. It is a beautiful littel island and they do lots of weddings. No chapel but the gardens and the beach are great locations for that tropical ceremony. You can book directly with the resort from their website. The resort has a total of 33 bures/rooms so it is small and friendly.

Being popular you would need to book early. Pita is the wedding organizer there.

Victoria
Level Contributor
523 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I choosing the right Wedding destination in Fiji?HELP

Ijust love the Shangri la.

We as a family have stayed there 3 times, but havent had a wedding there. The setting is just to die for.

We have seen some weddings and receptions and just cant help but feel how wonderful. You mention family and friends..does that include children???This resort has everything for all. Fiji is just a wonderful relaxing place. Just bear that in mind. Fiji runs on Fiji time, nothing is in a hurry, so dont be stressed, it will happen. I cant help you with the Wedding side of things, but Im more than happy to let you know about anything else. We stayed at the Fijan in July 2008. You can pm if you like. Where ever you choose in Fiji Im sure it will be perfect.

Deb

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I choosing the right Wedding destination in Fiji?HELP

I agree Fiji is a great destination for a wedding. We seen two weddings at the Shangri-La when we were there, both were different but very nice. They all appeared to be having a great time and both had plenty of family and friends there with them. Being a big resort they will/do a lot of weddings.

We choose to marry on the mainland (Naviti Resort) as it was an easier option for us with family, friends and children with varying budgets. As a thankyou for our guests we hired 2 drivers and vans and had a full day trip exploring the mainland of Fiji. We seen the most beautiful sights, little villages, areas that we would not have found if we were on our own.

After having a week here we then left for an island (Castaway) and some guests flew home and the rest came with us. This to us was perfect....

Good luck, Rene

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I choosing the right Wedding destination in Fiji?HELP

I think Fiji is perfect for your wedding. We married there a couple of years ago and I couldn't fault it, it was beyong perfect. We married on Tokoriki and as HookedOnFiji said, it's much more intimate than the big resorts on the coast but yes, much dearer. We only had our Mums there for our wedding so didn't have to consider too many other people so I think Shangri-La is a great choice if you have others but do try and get to an island for your honeymoon if you can, it's so much better. I have some photos of our wedding at Tokoriki if you like let me know. We've also stayed twice on Matamanoa and love that island too but not totally sure its perfect for a wedding. We leave for Treasure and Castaway in 7 days so I'll let you know what its like if you want. Good luck with it.

Esperance Western...
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I choosing the right Wedding destination in Fiji?HELP

My brother was married at the sea side chapel last year and it was beautiful. The chapel so cute all white and the front of the church is all glass looking out over the ocean. You also get a plaque to nail onto a board in the chapel gardens as a permanent reminder of your wedding-a nice touch I thought!

The wedding reception was originally going to be held on the beach but the day turned out to be very windy so it was moved indoors, no dramas food was plentiful and pretty good and everyone had a great time.

Perhaps after the wedding for your honeymoon you could stay at one of the islands. We left the shangri la after the wedding and stayed on Malolo and it was beautiful. I actually enjoyed staying on the island much more than the shangri la, but if I was to get married I wouldn't go past the sea side chapel it is stunning!

I am more than happy to answer any questions you have about the shangri la.

Alicia

9. Re: Am I choosing the right Wedding destination in Fiji?HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 08:20