We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free buying, Nadi or Aust???? Shangri La food???

Brisbane
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Duty free buying, Nadi or Aust???? Shangri La food???

Hi

my partner and I haven't been to Fiji before and are staying at the Shangri La in May.

After reading lots of reviews I am hopeful that its a good choice given that we are not taking children along.

Can anybody tell me is it better to buy our alcohol duty free in Aust or will we get it cheaper in Fiji itself. We will prob buy wine and some spirits.

On advice from other travellers I note that we need to visit the supermarket in sigatoka to buy up on snacks, soft drinks etc.

Also we have taken the all inclusive meals package, is there some nights that are better to eat at the buffet (apparently they have seafood night?) as we thought we would try all the restaurants there and also probably venture out to the famous Tom Lu's....

Thanks to people mentioning it we now know to eat at the adults only breakfast place and we will be semi regulars drinking cocktails watching the sun go down I hope :-)

Thanks heaps

Mel

Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
413 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free buying, Nadi or Aust???? Shangri La food???

Just returned home after our fourth visit to the Shangri la, we bought wine duty free at the airport after security Sydney Airport, Jacob's Creek Reserve in a cooler bag 6 bottles for about $AUD 79.00. I think prices are comparable depending on what you want.

If you want beer for your room it is best to buy from the local supermarket as it is a lot cheeper than buying from the shops at the resort.

All inclusive meals apparently allow you to eat at any of the restaurants, we found it cheaper to eat at the al a carte restaurants than the buffets and you get a better meal, just my opinion. The Takali al a carte menu is very good and the Kalevu is also a very good option.

We have been to Tom Lu's on a previous visit and would recommend going there the food and atmosphere are great.

As for cocktails happy hour begins at the Bilo Bar then continues at the Black Marlin Bar, my favorites ... Toblorone and Banaramana , Yumm!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free buying, Nadi or Aust???? Shangri La food???

Yes, buy your alcohol duty free in Australia as Fiji doesn't stock all the brands that we have and you might not get what you want. We bought beer duty free at Nadi, was much cheaper than the Shangri La. They were asking $150 FJD for a carton, which is about $90 AUS. We picked it up for $40 FJD. I would also be picking up a carton of water. The water at the Shangri La is safe, but we didn't drink it. Better to be safe than sorry. Nothing ruins a holidays faster than an upset tummy.

We had the meal package and it was great as we didn't have to worry about what it was costing us to eat. How is works is for lunch you get $25 FJD to spend at any restraunt, for dinner you get $55 FJD credit to use or you can eat for no extra cost at the Lagoon Terrance. The Beach Bar and Grill is the best to eat at. Had lunch there twice and both times the food was lovely. Had a wonderful seafood dinner there, you get to choose what you would like, e.g different fish, mussles, skewers, meat etc and give it to the chef to cook for you. Then you have a buffet for entree. You can go back as many times as you like for each of these.

The Lagoon Terrance Restrauant was big, crowded, loud and hot. The buffet was suppose to be different themes each night, but only one or two dishes were different. Mostly was the same stuff every night, which got very boring. Lunch was not much better. A very small al a carte menu that didn't really offer much. Only ate lunch there once. If you don't have any kids, I would give this one a miss.

The only other place we ate was at the Coral Cafe on the first day for lunch. This was very good. Would have eaten here more often but it was too far away as we were in Lagoon Family Room, which was at the other end of the resort.

Best place to have a drink and watch the sunset is at the Bilo Bar. A wonderful guy named David does a kava ceremony that is really informative. Once happy hour is finish at the Bilo Bar you can head to the Black Marlin Bar, like LadyofHaig said. They have more choice there.

Was nothing like having a margarita while watching the beautiful Fijian sunset.

Beerwalk :)

brisbane australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free buying, Nadi or Aust???? Shangri La food???

So am I understanding this right? If we buy our alcohol limit at brisbane airport can we then pass through customs etc at fiji airport and buy more alcohol from the duty free there? For example case of beer or more spirits?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free buying, Nadi or Aust???? Shangri La food???

Sorry I think I have confused you :(

You can only bring 2.25 liters of spirits or 4.5 liters of wine or beer into Fiji whether you buy it from Brisbane Airport or Nadi. You pass thru customs after the duty free shops at Nadi.

Beerwalk :)

brisbane australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free buying, Nadi or Aust???? Shangri La food???

Ok. Thanks beerwalk. Thought it sounded too good to be true. Seven days to go :)

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty free buying, Nadi or Aust???? Shangri La food???

Duty Free alcohol in Nadi at the airport will be much cheaper that Australia especially since the exchange rate is so good at the moment. This being said you will not have as much to choose from at the arrivals duty free as Australia.

Melbourne
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty free buying, Nadi or Aust???? Shangri La food???

Hi Ladyof haig,

Would you possibly have acopy of Takali a la carte menu that you could email to me, or else give me a rough idea of prices?

Joy

Brisbane
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty free buying, Nadi or Aust???? Shangri La food???

Hi there

if you would like to email me privately I will give you menus and a whole heap of other intel I gathered for my holiday in Fiji.

We just returned from there yest and it was awesome, the resort great and the staff so friendly

Cheers

Mel

Brisbane
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty free buying, Nadi or Aust???? Shangri La food???

BTW, thank you Beerwalk and Lady of Haig for the great tips you gave me.

It certainly helped me knowing what to take and some items I wouldnt have thought of taking had you not warned me and also for confirming that the resort was a nice place as I (probably like many others) was very worried after reading some of the horrid comments people had to say re the food, the staff etc.

I am in the process of writing my review for the Shangri La resort now as we had a fantastic time and my partner (who is a photographer) took many many pics of the resort after he looked at some of the comments people had made and we thought some non affiliated with the resort plain pics might help people see it properly (plus we couldn't believe people called it things like a block of council flats, hello it is Fiji after all and built to withstand cyclone season)

Thanks again for your help guys

Cheers

Mel

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
347 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duty free buying, Nadi or Aust???? Shangri La food???

So glad you had a great time :)

We are going in September and can't wait! I am looking forward to reading your review <3

Kel <3