We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at Shangri La?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Beach at Shangri La?

Is there a beach there? Sometimes you see these photos online that look like a beach, but when you get there the water is actually not good for swimming for various reasons.....is there good swimming and snorkeling? Thanks.

melbourne
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach at Shangri La?

There are nice sandy white beaches at Shangri La. The water on the coral pool side is the easiest to swim in as it is the deepest. It is clean and relatively clear and there are fish to see. On the Ocean side the water gets very shallow at low tide so it's not as easy to access. A lot of people swam quite far out and said it was nice snorkeling. I found that kayaking near the rocks is where most of the fish were and it was shallow enough to walk to at most times.The water and beach are not as good as the Islands - they are amazing, but Shangri la is still pretty good.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach at Shangri La?

Woudn't call them white sandy beaches. You get real white beaches on the islands. Think you mean that the beach near the Lagoon Pool is better to swim at, as the water near the Coral Pool dissapears at low tide.

Having said this, they are pretty good for the mainland and the water is nice to swim in.

Nola :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
347 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach at Shangri La?

The beaches aren't "postcard" white but the beach near the lagoon pool is nice and calm. You can wade out and there are little fish that swim around you.

When we were there there was a slide out a bit further but there was some seaweed that we didn't want to swim through so we stayed near the shore. We didn't really venture to the coral area.

Kel <3

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach at Shangri La?

No coral reef just some fish around, beach does not compare with those on the islands but has better deepish water access than than most of the Coral Coast resorts.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
457 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach at Shangri La?

Just been reading all the info about beaches at the Shangri La with interest.

I'm wondering how it will compare to the beaches in the Maldives? We were lucky enough to go there in 2008.

The sand was very white with millions of these little crabs scuttling around and the water was great for swimming and snorkelling. Aqua shoes were a must over there for swimming out or paddling.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach at Shangri La?

The beach at the Shangri La is nothing like the beaches in the Maldives. If you want beaches similar you have to head out to one of the islands. I had aqua shoes for myself and my son, but we never used them

Nola :)

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach at Shangri La?

Absolutely no comparison in beach and water.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
457 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach at Shangri La?

Thanks Nola, I'm going to get some aqua shoes for hubbly and me before we leave the UK.

I'm sure it'll be really lovely xxx

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
457 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach at Shangri La?

Thanks Hooked On Fiji

So I'm guesing you reckon that Fiji is better hey? :-)

I'm sure it's going to be absolutely lovely.

To be honest and without sounding really ungrateful, we weren't that impressed with the island we chose in the Maldives (Meeru). Although, a really lovely place in the world, there were too many things that weren't quite right for us personally. Of course we had a lovely time, we do no matter where we go but it just didn't tick all our boxes! Some folks go and believe it's like 'paradise on earth'! Each to their own that's what I say :-) xxx

laj
Brisbane Aust
Level Contributor
376 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach at Shangri La?

You;re right! It's different for everyone! The Shangri la does not have a great beach. The island we stayed at looked like paradise in comparison. Having said that.. I wouldn't touch the island again with a ten foot pole. We love the mainland and don't go there for the beach. Heck.. we live near some of the best beaches in the world.

:):)