We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Queenstown via Cardona Pass- Good route?

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Queenstown via Cardona Pass- Good route?

Dear Forumites,

I read that driving to queenstown via Cardona's pass is one of the best driving route. Would appreciate your thoughts on the same.

Thanks

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
327 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Queenstown via Cardona Pass- Good route?

Its a good drive in summer but chains can be required in winter when i would recommend going round thru Cromwell

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Queenstown via Cardona Pass- Good route?

Its a great drive but check in Wanaka what the weather conditions before you leave. If you need snow chains take the long way via Cromwell it will be much safer.

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Queenstown via Cardona Pass- Good route?

Hi guys, i forgot to mention that the ttravel period is in December- summer time:). Would this be ok then to drive through?

Thanks

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
512 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Queenstown via Cardona Pass- Good route?

As long as you are comfortable driving on the left you should be fine. It is a beautiful road, but quite twisty, windey and steep in some spots. There are a couple of amazing view points and the scenery in general along the pass is pretty.

Have fun!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,359 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Queenstown via Cardona Pass- Good route?

The drop from the summit of Crown Range towards Queenstown is steep and has 7 hairpin bends. I would not recommend this descent in an automatic car.

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Queenstown via Cardona Pass- Good route?

Thanks so much for the feedback- i guess i'd be better taking the cromwell route ...sounds safer.

I should be posting this on a new page, but more questions- should we do arrowtown before we head into queenstown or could we do the trip once we are in queenstown. I am trying to avoid any backtrekking.

Many thanks dear forumite...i am counting the days to our trip in Dec.......sigh..2 months to go:)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,515 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Queenstown via Cardona Pass- Good route?

Depends where you have come from that day & what you want to do in Arrowtown. If you have driven from Chch or the glaciers, give it a miss & go back when you are less tired. If you have only driven from Wanaka it is worth a lunch stop and a walk through the "Chinese Miners' Settlement" - near the ford that was used in LOTR.

Hervey Bay
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Queenstown via Cardona Pass- Good route?

We were in Wanaka from the 27th June to the 4th July and drove from queenstown and to Queenstown via the crown range road - in an automatic hire car. It's a lovely drive - it is a bit twisty and steep - but if you drive to a safe speed and to conditions it's not a problem. Hubby drove it when we arrived and I had to drive it back (he broke his hand on our last day in NZ tobagganing at Snow Farm) - definately do it - but do the Cromwell way as well - a completely different drive.

london
Level Contributor
37 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Queenstown via Cardona Pass- Good route?

We did in on our way out of QT - in August this year. Great route with great views - our automatic hire car coped fine with the bends and zig zags. Go for it! Arrowtown is not far from QT so could easily go for a day trip and enjoy walking around it-oh and visit the sweet shop!!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,302 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to Queenstown via Cardona Pass- Good route?

An automatic car can easily handle the Crown Range. It is timid drivers who have some difficulty. It's a great road, enjoy :)