We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rob Roy walk

noosa
Level Contributor
342 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Rob Roy walk

We wanted to do this walk last year. But had to turn around on that gravel road, as my Hubby was worried about damage to our rental car. Same story this year. Going early Feb and rental car again. I guess there are no 4 WD drop off and pick up services from Wanaka? Are there any reasonable priced organised tours? Cheers

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,000 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rob Roy walk

You can use the shuttle service alpineconnexions.co.nz/wanaka_trampers_shutt…

the drive Wanaka to Raspberry Creek is only 51k but takes a full hour.

the hike to the glacier takes about 3 hours - 2 hours up, 1 hour down and the shuttle allows 5 hours so plenty of time to amble.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,000 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rob Roy walk

or do a tour - there are a number of options

this is one ecowanaka.co.nz/rob_roy_glacier_walks.html

California
Level Contributor
9,660 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rob Roy walk

Pay the additional amount for zero excess and then you won't have to worry about the car.

noosa
Level Contributor
342 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rob Roy walk

The shuttle service is perfect WLnz.

Paying the extra zero excess amount will not safe us from the hassles of a broken windscreen, flat Tyre or worst. Would only drive that gravel road with a 4 WD.

Cheers everybody.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rob Roy walk

Haha, a few years back I drove to the Raspberry Creek carpark in my 1993, 1.3L automatic hatchback - though weather conditions were perfect (fords very low) and I wasn't too worried about damage as my car is worth <$1000 anyway! Sensible to take a shuttle if you are concerned or if the rental agreement doesn't allow for it.

6. Re: Rob Roy walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 05:17