We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female hiking Mount Kenya

Bratislava, Slovakia
4 posts
Save Topic
Solo female hiking Mount Kenya

Hi,

I'm a woman and I'd like to hike Mount Kenya in June, anyone has experience how is it to travel alone as a female or any good tips for guides/travel agencies?

Or somebody wants to join? :)

22 replies to this topic
1. Re: Solo female hiking Mount Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 15:22

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
998 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female hiking Mount Kenya

Give my Mt. Kenya guide a call: John Mukuruma at +254 720 559 948. His Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/johnmukuruma.ndichu

A great young guide who has worked with many foreign clients. He can take care of porters/cooks and menu preparation.

Bratislava, Slovakia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female hiking Mount Kenya

Thank you for your recommendation.

I'd actually like to carry my stuff by myself - sleeping bag, clothes, other personal things. In that case, do I really need to be accompanied with 3 other guys - guide, porter and cook? Or do they have to carry tents and food?

Thanks

Maria

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
998 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo female hiking Mount Kenya

When I went with him there was only me, him and a man who doubled as porter and cook. I recommend that as a compromise. The porter carried most of my gear, freeing me to walk around and take pictures. You could forego the cook/porter I guess, if you are willing to hump your own load. But beware of reaching the upper camp in a too-tired state.

It is actually possible to climb without any guide or porter, if you go with at least one other tourist.

Bratislava, Slovakia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo female hiking Mount Kenya

I believe it's always good to be have somebody local. Guide and porter/cook sounds good. I've already sent a message to John. So thanks again

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo female hiking Mount Kenya

Please could Mari tell us how it went. I am planning on hiking Mt Kenya next February, and will be travelling alone, so any ideas are welcome. How much does this hike cost with John Mukuruma?

Which route did you take?

Thank you for any info!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo female hiking Mount Kenya

here's a fairly recent thread on climbing Mt Kenya

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g319715-i10859-k74…

It's best to join a group.

Bratislava, Slovakia
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo female hiking Mount Kenya

Hi Miira,

I agreed with my guide - John on 6 days, I'll send you the itinerary. I was carrying my stuff by myself, so it was just me, him and cook (I didn't have porter). I would say that 6 days was even too much, first day was just transportation from Nairobi to Nanyuki and doing shopping for our track. Second day we only hiked around 2-3 hours and also 4th day was acclimatisation day (which I would say wasn't so necessary for me - depends on how you manage altitudes) so we only did again 2-3 hours, so I had a lot of time for reading and writing my diary :) Last 2 days were quite difficult, long hikes and I was a bit tired, but the views were just amazing, really beautiful.

I was there beginning of June, which is off the touristic season, it was raining occasionally, but generally the wheather was quite good. Lodges we were staying in were ok, the higher we wet the colder, so in the top one I had to wear down jacket in the evenings.

I was worried at the beginning - going on my own with 2 guys that I only knew from e-mail communication, but I have to say they were very nice and we developed very friendly relationship during those 6 days, sharing a lot about our cultures and singing in the evenings :) I have to say they made me eat really a lot, I wasn't used to eat so much, but they insisted and were treating me really nicely. You'll have to get used to the fact, that as a white woman, you'll draw quite a lot of attention, but I wouldn't say I felt threatened. I could really rely on John.

This is the itinerary:

Day 1 Nairobi-Nanyuki Depart from Nairobi at 9:30am. Drive for 4 hrs to Nanyuki. Dinner and overnight in a base hotel.

Day 2 Old Moses Hut After breakfast, transfer to Sirimon gate where the trekking starts. Hike for 9km to Old Moses camp (3,300m) for dinner and overnight.

Day 3 Shipton’s Camp After breakfast, hike for 12 km to Shiptons camp (4,200m) for dinner and overnight.

Day 4 Shipton’s Camp – Mount Kenya Climb Acclimatization day! After breakfast, connect the summit circuit path via Hauseberg Col (4,700m) and descend to Hauserberg and Oblong tarns (4,400m),then up to Western terminal (4,600m). Return back to shiptons camp for dinner and overnight.

Day 5 Point Lenana – Mount Kenya Attempt Point Lenana (4,985m) at 3:30am. After sunrise, descend back to Mintos hut for breakfast. Descend further down to Chogoria park gate campsite for dinner and overnight.

Day 6 Chogoria-Nairobi Leave the mountain through the rain forest to Chogoria village. After lunch, connect the transport back to Nairobi arriving by 6:30pm.

I paid $130 a day(everything included) plus tips.

Feel free to ask more questions and good luck, Kenya is beautiful country ;)

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo female hiking Mount Kenya

Thank you for all the info! I think I'll get in touch with John. It all sounds good!

I might come up with more questions later.

Did you do any game viewing while you were there, or was it just the hike? I have been looking at various safaris, but they are extremely expensive. Seems whole of Kenya tourism is directed to wealthy people with money to pay for luxury...

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo female hiking Mount Kenya

Could someone tell me how cold it gets on the mountain during the day time and during night time. I have tried to find out but everywhere there are different numbers. I will be going february and try to figure out the clothing I will need without carrying too much.

My main concern is at 4600m altitude, which is the highest point of overnight stay. I can handle cold as long as I am moving, but sitting around, eating, etc in the evening is when I will most likely get cold.

Reply to: Solo female hiking Mount Kenya
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nyeri
Recent Conversations