We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Azrou through the seasons

Which Azrou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,495 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Azrou through the seasons

Morocco is pretty much an all-year-round destination and it's rare that you go many days without experiencing brilliant sunshine. And thanks to a lack of air traffic, the skies are clear and often a beautiful deep blue. So when is the best time to visit?

morocco-knowledgebase.net/photos/seasons-160…

The photo collage above shows the same spot (looking north towards the pretty town of Azrou in the Middle Atlas) in

- spring (May 2006)

- autumn (September 2006) and

- winter (Jan 2007)

Spring (April/May) is my favourite time. The country is incredibly green with fields full of wild flowers and the daylight hours—especially towards the end of May—are long.

My second favourite time is winter (Jan/Feb). Morocco provides a great winter sun boost for those of us shivering in the northern latitudes and there's few tourists in the countryside. The land has recovered much of it's greenery from the scorching summer—so long as it's not covered with snow!

Autumn is OK, but the countryside is still scorched from the summer, and daylight hours are much shorter compared with May. Summer is a poor fourth choice, but if it's the only timeslot you have available, it's still worth visiting, though hotels with aircon might be essential for some.

3 replies to this topic
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
66 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Azrou through the seasons

Tim,

when you posted this on TT I hadn't realized it was near Azrou. Glad to know, as I plan to spend 2 nights there to break the journey from Merzouga (via Rissani) to Fez.

Any suggestions on what to do in Azrou? How easy it is to find a guide for a little hiking?

Glad to know I'll be there in May, a hike around those verdant hills would be lovely!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,495 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Azrou through the seasons

Azrou is my favourite town in Morocco. I normally stay in the rather humble Hotel Cedres in the middle of town, but there's the Hotel Panorama if you're not so mean. :)

Monkeys, volcanoes, springs, flowers, forests, the area has it all. You could contact Mehdi and Aziza at Gite Ras El Ma who can organise hiking, or just do it yourself.

How to find wild monkeys (and descend into a volcano) documented here

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g616013-c145720/Azr…

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
66 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Azrou through the seasons

Tim,

I won't have a car.

If I want to do some hiking through the cedar forests on my own, do you know how to find the trailhead form the city center? And most importantly, do you think it would be OK for me, as a female, to go hiking solo, or do I need I guide just for the sake of safety?

Reply to: Azrou through the seasons
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Azrou
Recent Conversations
More Azrou Topics