We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ras Nungwi or Fundu Lagoon for off beach snokreling

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
8 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Ras Nungwi or Fundu Lagoon for off beach snokreling

Choosing between two hotels for January 2012, one of the important things we consider - is snorkeling available just off the beach, or you have to rent a boat?

Point is we hate boat snorkeling mostly because it's to hard for us to get back to the boat from water (My husband and I are ....oh....a bit overweight and a bit not young)

Any ssuggestions about each hotel? or perhaps any other place on Zanzibar or Pemba?

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ras Nungwi or Fundu Lagoon for off beach snokreling

Hello, we stayed at the Manta Resort, which has some nice snorkelling, and their own dive office, which will take you to other great sites. It is a beautiful, beautiful place in Pemba - you can check out my review.

It is also in the affordable/expensive price bracket, rather than the "place where Cameron Diaz stayed" bracket.

Breezes in Zanzibar is very highly frequented by expats living in East Africa, very popular.

Edited: 22 August 2011, 21:04
Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ras Nungwi or Fundu Lagoon for off beach snokreling

I think to snorkel and get the best reefs are two things different.

Can snorkel off the beach but can not get to the best reefs without having short boat ride.

Most of Diving Centres are using big boats mostly Dhows with steps on it.

So I don't think if will be able to capsize it due to your heavy weight status.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
8 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ras Nungwi or Fundu Lagoon for off beach snokreling

Thank you for your answers,

However the problem is not in the boat capsizing, it's physically difficult to get into the boat from water - narrow and uncomfortable ladders, small handrails etc.

London
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ras Nungwi or Fundu Lagoon for off beach snokreling

Fundu is nice but very isolated compared with Ras Nungwi which is a 10 minute drive from Nungwi Village, although equally quiet. I suspect you will have more options available to you (in terms of things to do and see) at Ras Nungwi. The lagoon area around Ras Nungwi is tidal but you will have plenty of opportunities throughout the day to wade in and snorkel to the reef.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
8 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ras Nungwi or Fundu Lagoon for off beach snokreling

Thank you all,

Choice was made in favor of Ras Nungwi. Will post my review in January!

Alla

6. Re: Ras Nungwi or Fundu Lagoon for off beach snokreling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Nungwi
Recent Conversations