We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off to the Royal Zanzibar for Honeymoon in May

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Off to the Royal Zanzibar for Honeymoon in May

Any tips on things to do in the area? Information seems difficult to get compared to previous places we have stayed around the world.

We are going to stay for two weeks after a week Safari in Tanzanir and are very interested in Swimming with Dolphins and I think my future wife would like to do a spice tour. In regards to trips, when we were in Sri Lanka we arranged trips through sellers on the beach which was the best thing we ever did, the service was fantastic, the price was lower and it felt like we saw more of the Island due to their knowledge. Is this something that is reccomended in Zanzibar?

Also does anyone know if the Superior rooms are all sea facing and how much roughly a local taxi from the airport to Nungwi is?

Very excited now as we have been planning this as our dream honeymoon for a few years now.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Off to the Royal Zanzibar for Honeymoon in May

Is good that you have experience from other part of the continent.

But can not compare the price of Sri Lanka and Zanzibar because these rates are based on Season(Seasonal rates).

Royal Zanzibar is among of the best point at North Coast and good choice for Honeymooners.

Dolphin site is at South Coast which will take almost 2hrs for a good drive to get there.But be aware these are animals and can not be guaranteed to see them although the possibility is 90%.

The Spice Tour is on the way to or from North Coast,so can make it on the way to or way back.

Extra:-Can do a Stonetown Tour by combining it with Sunset Dhow Cruise Special for Honeymooners which is a romantic trip.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Tanzania
Level Contributor
516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off to the Royal Zanzibar for Honeymoon in May

Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful time.

A taxi from the airport is going to be roughly $50 you could get it $5 or so dollars cheaper or more expensive. Fuel has gone up but also tourism has dropped and my driver that I use in Stone Town is always telling me how there are no wageni (tourists) and business is slow - so you could probably find someone who will give you a good deal.

If you are happy with them take their number and they will be able to drive you down to Kizimkazi where the dolphins are - this is literally on the opposite end of the island and is probably going to take you about 2 hours one way to get there. Just so you know it is not really swimming with the dolphins, you go out on a local boat who chase the dolphins and then get you into a position where the dolphins will swim past, they will say ONE, TWO, THREE....JUMP and you jump into the water and see them swimming past. I personally think it is a bit cruel to scare the dolphins this way. IF you want to do a fantastic trip with the chance of seeing dolphins in a more conservative way then I would definitely recommend Safari Blue which takes off from Fumba which is in the South West of Zanzibar about 25 minutes from Stone Town. Just double check with them first that they will be operating as they will not go out with bad weather and sometimes over the low season April / May they will close for a couple of weeks to do maintenance on their boats.

You can also do the spice tour independently, again this is why it is a good idea to get the name and number of a driver in Stone Town / airport. As if he is going to do several trips for you over your stay he will definitely give you a good price. The spice farms are about 20 minutes from Stone Town on the way to Nungwi. You basically just go to someone's farm and they will guide you around and give you a tour then you tip your guide, not sure about now but it used to be about $10 - $15 per person, it is also a good idea to have lots of small change as there are some of the kids who will make things from the palm leaves and pick coconuts for you so you would like to give them something too or say to your guide that you would like to leave a general tip at the end if you do not have much smaller change.

In Nungwi there are lots of little bars and restaurants you could wander out and try. There is para-sailing up in Nungwi now as well as doing some snorkelling trips around at Mnemba Atoll.

I personally do not like using the beach boys, some of the hotels have got 'controlled' beach boys but maybe the best is to find out when you are there. I know in my experience of living in Zanzibar was that sometimes the beach boys used dodgey boats and did not have good equipment and also the fact if something went wrong you never went with a reputable company. There are instances where I think paying that little extra and going with a reputable agent will give you a better experience especially when it comes to boat trips. For example yes the hotel is probably going to charge a lot more for taxi trips than if you found an independent so try find your own driver and then a lot of the trips you can do by yourself.

I hope this has helped.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off to the Royal Zanzibar for Honeymoon in May

PLEASE do not pay money to be shown things that are meant to be *alive* or living in shell houses and hooked out for the sake of selling the house, or demonstrated on. This is how we spear the little octopus.

Ignore all that kind of behaviour. That is one of the great pities about Zanzibar that as yet, the Marine Ecology isn't protected.

Zanzibar is wonderful though. You will have an amazing time and get some beautiful photos.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,954 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off to the Royal Zanzibar for Honeymoon in May

By the time you get to the dolphins, they will have been harrassed by idiots for a couple of hours and will be avoiding people.

You need to get there around dawn, and have only a few people floating in the water. Then they will approach you.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off to the Royal Zanzibar for Honeymoon in May

Thanks for that, some very interesting information. I have no idea why I typed Dolphins, must have been a habit. I meant to ask about swimming with Turtles, we read that a place is quite near to the hotel.

Tanzania
Level Contributor
516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off to the Royal Zanzibar for Honeymoon in May

Yes there is a Turtle sanctuary in Nungwi but I do not know if you are actually allowed to swim with them. Last I heard it was about 10,000 shillings (about $7) entrance but this was a while ago. I am not sure if you are divers but if you are you should do a dive at Mnemba Atoll, I dived a lot when I lived in Zanzibar and 9 times out of 10 saw the turtles, this was great seeing them in their natural habitat as well, they are my favourite to see as well :)

Another great trip is going over to Prison Island by Stone Town to see the giant tortoises, they are also pretty amazing and you can feed them at certain times. Also was 10,000 shillings entrance onto the island and the boat was about $30 return which you can arrange from either infront of Tembo Hotel or Mercurys restaurant.

7. Re: Off to the Royal Zanzibar for Honeymoon in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:43
Get answers to your questions about Nungwi
Recent Conversations