We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

credit cards or cash??

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
53 posts
363 reviews
Save Topic
credit cards or cash??

We will be staying in Nungwi for 4 days after 3 days in Stone Town, where the only cash machines are. Do most of the bars, restaurants & dive centres take cards or do you have to pay in cash??

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: credit cards or cash??

CAsh is king in Tanzania. If you use a credit card you are at a high risk of identity theft of your card. I would never use a credit card in Tanzania. There was another post just the other day on here of someone who had his card numbers stolen on Zanzibar. Do so at your own risk.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: credit cards or cash??

Prefer to use Cash for your Money safety.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
53 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: credit cards or cash??

Hi Karl. Thanks for your info. I had better get some more dollars!

Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: credit cards or cash??

Running around with all your money in dollars is also not a good idea.

In the bigger cities of Tanzania you will find ATM machines to redraw money.

(maximum Tzsh 1 million per card in three sessions)

If you take normal precautions these are as reliable as in other countries.

Sometimes they don't give money but I never experienced problems since in that cases no transaction is done. Although sometimes it is a bit "scary" since often you don't get a receipt.

In the better hotels they also have POS credit card machines but due to bad connections they are not always working. So you better don't count on it. I did not hear about problems with those machines others than f.e. in Europe.

Although the main tourist industry is calculating in dollars in the end they prefer shillings since food and staff has to be paid in shillings. Also exchange rates with the banks are not good and changing money with the bank is not quickly done, also not for local entrepreneurs.

If you take dollars take care they are from 2006 or newer! Mind: even at the money exchange office at the airport they easily give you old dollars in spite of they know they are worthless in Tanzania. If you have them try to exchange them with a bank in Dar es Salaam. Out in the bush this will give a problems.

So my advise would be to redraw money from ATM machines every now and then rather than paying with credit card in hotels and other places. Only in case you go to the bush you might end up in carrying a big bag of shillings since the most valuable note is tzsh 10.000 (about $ 6). In that case the better hotels will accept dollars as well.

Sorry, it is not easy.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: credit cards or cash??

We are due to arrive to your beautiful island Zanzibar on september 8th 2012 to celebrate our honeymoon.

It was brought to my attention that parts of the cost line is better than the other.

Can you please refer me to what side of the island the beach is most recommended? the east, north or west?

Thank you very much

6. Re: credit cards or cash??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Nungwi
Recent Conversations