We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Hideaway Nungwi

Which Nungwi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
The Hideaway Nungwi

Hi All,

What is this new Hideaway hotel meant to be like? Is it one if the best hotels on the island? Are the prices likely to go up once it opens, and if so to what sort of price level? Also what is the quality of its beach going to be like?

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Hideaway Nungwi

Hello,

The Hideaway opened yesterday and currently we have introductory rates. I expect these will likely increase substantially as soon as guest feedback starts filtering back out.

I hope this helps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Hideaway Nungwi

Thanks.

This hotel's website is not the best...

Can you clarify about the rooms - the "luxury junior suite" is the basic. But the "luxury superior junior suite" is the next up?

And the difference between these 2 rooms is, the "superior" has a bigger room, a better view, you can eat in the 2 posh restaurants if all inc and you can get into the private beach area.

Is all this accurate? Whats the private beach area?

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Hideaway Nungwi

Hello,

The luxury junior suite is the entry level. We have a guide to the different rooms, their layouts and more on out page. zanzibar.co.uk/en/…hideaway-of-nungwi I believe the entry level rooms are excluded from all VIP features and complementary use of some of the restaurants, however you are given the option to pay extra if you wished to dine in the posh restaurants.

I hope this helps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Hideaway Nungwi

Thanks again.

Just checked your link, the 'superior' rooms have 2 layouts according to your link. The 'superior' with the much bigger balcony seems much better value than the 'superior' with the smaller balcony - can this be right?

Also do the 'superiors' have better views?

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Hideaway Nungwi

I believe that one is on the corner and the other is within the 'terrace', although I would be happy to clarify this if needed.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Hideaway Nungwi

Hi Mark L

I'm going here in June. I booked a Luxury Junior Suite initially but have upgraded to the Superior Luxury Junior Suite because of all the VIP extras. These rooms are in a separate area of the resort to all of the Junior Suite rooms. They are bigger but I think there is minimal difference between the corner or standard rooms, from looking at the room layouts on the website. You are closer to the beach overall, there's a private stretch of beach just for the upgraded guests, a separate beach bar, access to in-room dining, 24 hour butler service and the option to dine a la carte at the Carnivore or Ishi teppenyaki restuarants as well as the main buffet (if you go all-inclusive which is really the only way to go). The views are fairly similar across the resort according to the hotel staff I emailed (all 100 rooms have ocean views). Rooms are either ground floor or first floor. Obviously being raised gives you a better vantage point so you could ask for a first floor room, like I have, but I was told there are no guarantees on this.

It cost me £180 per person to upgrade for 7 nights. Totally worth it for all the perks, even without knowing how good the place is. From my extensive (and obsessive) reserach I think it promises to be pretty spectacular.

You can get a better idea of the rooms by looking on the Leading Hotels of the World website. Also the hotel has a Facebook page with about 400 photos.

Hope this helps. As you can see I have left nothing to chance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Hideaway Nungwi

Thank you TheFack,

Funnily enough I too have already booked this hotel, but for 6 nights late Spet/early Oct. Also, I too am considering upgrading, but want to work out if its worth it.

Private Beach area - I like the idea of this, as it will simply be quieter and a guarantee of getting a lounger and umbrella in a prime spot.

Bigger room - no real advantage for me here, how much space do we need to sleep and swing cats around?

Location of room - this is a plus if its near the beach and restaurants, purely out of laziness

View - I was hoping they could offer a better view from a superior room

Upgrade Bar - no advantage, I wouldn't want to iscolate myself from the other guests in a resort

In-room dining - We never eat in the room, so no advantage

Dine in posh restaurants included - I like this idea, but will feel I wont ever want to eat in the others!

Butler service - probably a nice perk if I'm not expected to tip every time. But what exactly would a butler do?

For £25 a day pp, I agree, this probably is good value. So I'm sure I'll succumb in due time.

But I'm unsure what you meant about room sizes - you saying there is no difference between the corner 'superiors' and terraced 'superiors'? To me the layout of the wider superiors seems much nicer.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Hideaway Nungwi

Hi Mark L

Regarding the bar - it's only a separate beach bar (means you can get your cocktails quicker with fewer people there - definitely a plus for me). The main bars are all near the restaurants so no risk of being anti-social in the evenings. I certainly wouldn't want that myself!

Regarding the room sizes, you're right in that the corner rooms are slightly better laid out. I couldn't specifically request one through my travel agent but you could contact the hotel directly and ask. Their email address is on the website and they replied to me very quickly (even sent me a map of the resort so I could see where the rooms are in relation to the beach/restaurants etc, which is how I know that the superior rooms are better located for both, which you want). The junior rooms are on the top of the hill - 5 min walk to beach. Not a big deal to be that far away but if the superior rooms are closer to beach and restaurants then why not. Less to walk back after a hefty dinner and drinks. Win win!

The hotel agents did say that the views are similar across all the rooms but then again there's also information on the Leading Hotels website that suggests the corner superior rooms are the most panoramic. Now you've mentioned it I'm quite keen to get one myself!

I like the idea of being able to eat a la carte in the Carnivore restaurant because they serve game meat. If that's something you're keen on then the upgrade is worth it for that alone. Good game meat is hard to find (from past Africa experience) and the food has been praised heavily in the reviews on here so far.

Good point on the butler (re: tips). Probably won't use him but feels good knowing you've got that option. Just ramps up the super luxury vibe.

I'm sure it'll all be great. I can't stop talking about it, hence this post!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Hideaway Nungwi

P.S. I agree with you on in-room dining being mostly pointless. However I thought breakfast in bed wouldn't be a bad option if I was so inclined at any point.

Edited: 03 May 2013, 17:16
London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Hideaway Nungwi

Hi, sorry for the delay. Blame the bank hol!

Still I'm not convinced by the private bar beng a benefit - it's antisocial by night so it will be anti-social by day. Ok you can get your drinks quicker, but if you have a butler, isn't that just superfluous anyway? In the very worst case though, it will be nice just to have the luxury of choice to use this bar or not.

I assumed, but didn't know for certain that the superior rooms would be closer to the beach and restaurants compared to the standard rooms - so you confirming this is helpful. I don't think this is a deal-breaker, but it's an advantage for sure.

The much bigger room speaks for itself, it just adds to the feeling of luxury. The food is the big plus - being able to eat croc and impala etc every day for no added cost will be a bonus.

I will be fascinated to see what reviews come through on the site in the coming weeks - that will give us more clues, but you'll have less time than me to suss it all out.

Get answers to your questions about Nungwi