We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wine

london
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Topic
wine

hi all,

are there any shops we can buy wine when we come to nungwi ?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wine

There are plenty in Stone Town.

london
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: wine

thanks for that.

i am ok as i can drink beer but my wife only drinks white wine and i have been told wine is really expensive in the hotels so we thought we would get some from a store for our pre dinner drink.

cheers

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wine

They have South African wines at some of the shops in Stone Town. And you might want to try some of the Dodoma Wine, which is a local wine made in Dodoma. In Dodoma they grow grapes (I had a farm there which was once a vineyard). Some of this Dodoma wine is rather good, but it's not consistent and it's typically very inexpensive. I would say that it's the best available for a local wine. There are also some rather good banana wines (also some real rotgut in many of the banana wines) being made in Dar es Salaam.

And yes, at some of the tourist hotels they put a high price on wine. BTW, you can get beer at most of these small shops also, and if you get it in the shops it is very inexpensive. They come in 500 mL bottles and typically in the shops you can get them for a little under $1 a bottle. I enjoy the Kilimanjaro and Serengeti beers, some will like the Safari Beer which has a higher alcohol content.

london
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: wine

thanks karl,

the problem is we are going on some internal flights with a very low baggage allowance weightwise so we were hoping that we would be able to get some wine in nungwi.

cheers

Edited: 08 May 2013, 11:35
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wine

You should pass through Stone Town on your way to Ngunwi

Poznan, Poland
Level Contributor
219 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wine

Do you wine shopping in Stone Town, Karl is the expert and I am sure he is right when he writes that there are plenty stores with wine in Stone Town, but for someone unfamiliar with ST it is not easy to fing one:) The easiest one to find is the one across the street from the Shangani Post Office.

london
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: wine

thanks for that.---looks like we will not be alcoholicaly challenged then lol

Zanzibar Island...
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: wine

you can buy at Migoz supermarket in ZMMI which is th major distibutor in zanzibar

london
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: wine

what is zmmi?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,951 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wine

I can't believe your wife drinks so much wine that the cost, even buying it in a hotel, will be anything but a minor incidental to your trip.

It's not the south of France....

Get answers to your questions about Nungwi
Recent Conversations