We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stuck between 2 hotels ....

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
72 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Stuck between 2 hotels ....

Hi there, I hope someone can honestly help me. We are going to N coast Zanzibar for our 10th anniversary in June. I am totally stuck between The Royal Zanzibar which has excellent reviews and Gemma Dell Est ! I think our main concern is the beach and choice of food, the beach at Royal looks lovely but short ? Is this the case ? Gemma looks a lot more vast ? I believe both are close by so theoretically the beach/sea should be pretty much the same .... ?!

At gemma there appears to be only one restaurant which is included in the all inclusive for the evening, is that right, although I realise there are more? Same with Royal.

Would really appreciate your help, need to confirm soon.

Thank you so much

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stuck between 2 hotels ....

Hello,

I think there is a low chance that many people will have been to both of these properties. I would suggest contacting an agent (who has) and getting their advice on based on your preferences. Booking should not cost anymore than if you did it all yourself and may well be cheaper. Also read up the reviews for both on this site. At La Gemma there is a choice however you must prebook tables as not enough to accommodate everyone. This is usually the way in the larger properties.

I hope this helps and you enjoy Zanzibar.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stuck between 2 hotels ....

Hi there,

Gemma Dell'Est has several options for eating, but you are correct in thinking that the All Inc option only offers the Pavilion restaurant. You can pay extra to eat at one of the other restaurants, and you will receive a voucher to eat at the Pizzeria once free of charge.

The beach at Gemma gets washed away each monsoon season, and is rebuilt each season, keeping it clean and debris free. Swimming is generally very good with less tidal activity than the coastlines to the east or west.

I think the main thing you need to consider is the style of hotel, as the facitlies and all inclusive options seem to be fairly similar. Personally, I would say Gemma is your preferred option - the beach and spa are better and they offer a wide range of tours and excursions for you to explore the island.

Hope this is of some use? Enjoy your trip :)

3. Re: Stuck between 2 hotels ....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Nungwi