We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzania Safari and Zanzibar iPad/kindle

Which Bwejuu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Tanzania Safari and Zanzibar iPad/kindle

Planning our trip in September and wondered about whether we should bring our iPad & kindle with us. Anyone had good/bad experiences taking these items?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
372 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanzania Safari and Zanzibar iPad/kindle

I take them to read and to play games and to occasionally send email when there's WiFi. One morning I was up before everyone else and went to the main lodge to have company. It was so early they weren't even open yet, so I sat outside with my lighted Kindle (it was still dark outside) and read. When the cook came and saw me, she said I was her new Askari.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanzania Safari and Zanzibar iPad/kindle

Just don't expect wifi available in many places. You might want to check with your lodgings first. I tried to do a blog, but ran into many connection issues.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanzania Safari and Zanzibar iPad/kindle

Thanks for your quick reply. I am aware that connections will be limited and don't mind that. We will be stopping at five different camps/lodges on the safari and wondered should we take our gadgets with us during the day or would it be safe to leave them in camps? Any ideas?

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanzania Safari and Zanzibar iPad/kindle

Thanks for quick reply. I wondered if you had to keep your gadgets on you whilst out on safari or were you able to leave it safely at camps/lodges? I am also an early riser so would benefit like yourself of having my iPad with me.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
372 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanzania Safari and Zanzibar iPad/kindle

As I recall, I left those items in camp. But I was with a tour and the tour group was the only one in the camps. This time, as an independent traveler, I will probably take them with me on the game drives.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanzania Safari and Zanzibar iPad/kindle

Just make sure they are well protected from the dust.

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
773 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanzania Safari and Zanzibar iPad/kindle

I, too, was glad I had my tablet and Nook reader. I think I may have taken them with me at camps (tented camps), and locked them in the safe if at a hotel (Zanzibar, etc). I had my backpack with me daily as my "day bag", and I probably put them in a ziploc that I had in my backpack. Even without WiFi, I had Sudoku and solitaire on my tablet that I enjoyed playing.

8. Re: Tanzania Safari and Zanzibar iPad/kindle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 March 2014, 16:05
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tanzania Safari and Zanzibar iPad/kindle

Thanks everyone for your replies. Valuable info there. I reckon the zip lock Jiffy bag a great idea...I hadn't thought about the dust. Sounds like some of you have done safaris more than once...I am so excited and still have nearly seven months to go so there could be a few more questions to come!

Edited: 08 March 2014, 16:50
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
864 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tanzania Safari and Zanzibar iPad/kindle

Take my iPad for reading. But your iPhone is best for WiFi in the lodges where it is available.

Get answers to your questions about Bwejuu