We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Cebu to Dumaguete City

Carpintera...
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Cebu to Dumaguete City

My husband and I are flying in from the states in February 2012. My brother lives on Negros Oriental. He suggests we fly to Cebu rather than Manila, then take Ceres bus / ferry to Dumaguete.

I cannot find online schedule so I guess we must spend night in Cebu while we plan the bus/ferry leg.

The Cebu-Pacific airline accept only carryon, no luggage, so that isn’t an option for us. Can anyone offer more detailed info on Ceres bus/ferry or an alternative choice traveling from Cebu to Dumaguete?

Rizal Boulevard
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Silliman University
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites
clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Cebu to Dumaguete City

cebu pacific accept luggage -u can add as much as u want up to 30kg allowance

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Cebu to Dumaguete City

u dont need to take any bus -just go to oceanjet ferry port from airport by taxi www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Cebu to Dumaguete City

Make your life easy. Fly to Manila, then to Dumaguete.

Or add drama by flying to Cebu & ferry to Dumaguete.

I wonder where you got the idea but local Cebu Pacific flight charges 250php for a 25k checked-inluggage

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Cebu to Dumaguete City

ed -its 250 for 20kg -hope my english is ok this time

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,174 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Cebu to Dumaguete City

I should think that the last thing you want to do after a big flight is to stuffing around with the bus and boat trip to Dumaguete City.

I personally think it will be more convenient flying to Manila then flight to Dumaguete City.

If you still decide to fly direct to Cebu first, then my next convenient option would be a choice of 2 fast ferries from Cebu City. OceanJet or Weesam Express.

Weesam Express website doesn't work very well. Here is the schedule for OceanJet

oceanjet.net/schedule.php…

Regards; Jim

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,585 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Cebu to Dumaguete City

Cebu Pacific is just like any airlines, they would be more than willing to accept your luggage no matter how heavy they are as they would make money for that. For my convenience I would even hesitate to fly to Cebu and take a boat to Dumaguete even if I just carry 1 small backpack.

Cebu
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling from Cebu to Dumaguete City

Hello, I am a native of Cebu and travel to Dumaguete frequently. Cebu Pacific accepts luggage of up to 300 kg I believe as well as carry on. What your brother has suggested may be taxing to your health in a way will make you tired easily as the temperature in North America is very much different from that in the Philippines. Cebu has the tendency to become scorching especially for those new to it. Though, it is also the most scenic route to take as you will be able to see wonderful views of rice patties, beaches, small towns (some of them old), beaches, old churches and more...I would suggest spend a night or two at a hotel just to acclimatized yourself to the climate once you arrive in Cebu. The Ceres Bus Liner is similar to the bus liners in the US like greyhound, there are two types, the air condition and non-air conditioned bus. Fare would probably be around 2-3 dollars last time I was there and make sure you stay in the middle or the front as the back tends to make people dizzy due to some sharp curves. Your baggage are mostly stored in the Bus's compartment under it and you would have to tell the conductor that you have baggage under the bus when you get off. To check the Bus schedule you can view it here: negros-island.com/ceres-bus-schedule-dumague… . Always remember to have bottled water with you to hydrate yourself and do not drink tap. The Bus travel takes about 3-4 hours till it reaches the ferry which they will ask you to go to leave the bus and up the second floor of the ferry to seat. When you arrive at Negros, you will go down to the bus again and the bus will take you to the station which is like an hour drive.

Hope you have a wonderful and safe trip and do not forget to pass by the pastry shop Sans Rival in Dumaguete which serve the amazing Sans Rival cake as well as Silvannas. Watch out if you are diabetic though as the cake may be to die for...

TIPS:

1. To get around, Taxis in Cebu do not necessarily cheat their customers if they do just tell them that you can report them to the LTO (Labor Transportation Organization). Just ask them to bring you to the Ceres Terminal to go to Dumaguete. The drivers are pretty nice though. They normally do nor ask for tips and give you back your change unlike the taxis in Manila but I usually give a tip of around 10 pesos to them as they do need it or if you are generous a dollar / 40 pesos would be make their day.

2. Hydrate yourself always especially if you have lived outside the Philippines for a long time avoid TAP water.

3. Check hotels as there are a lot of affordable and safe hotels in the city of Cebu which range from 20-40 dollars a night. This hotel: http://www.regalbusinessparkhotel.com/ is a great and affordable hotel though do not expect it to be the Marriot. What;s great about it is that it is cheap and affordable and it is a walk from the mall (which contains groceries, restaurants, shops, etc...)

4. Always watch your belongings such as cameras and laptops should you bring them with you

Carpintera...
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling from Cebu to Dumaguete City

I want to thank everyone for your quick and very informative replies. I truly appreciate all the great details and links you have provided me! I've saved everything. Now my husband and I can sit down and make informed decisions.

RE: Cebu-Pacific Air and luggage. The reason I thought they didn't take luggage was the flights I found online indicated "lite - carry on, no luggage." It's good to know we have more options.

THANK YOU ALL!

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling from Cebu to Dumaguete City

Clare, thanks for correcting me

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply