We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Sigiriya and Mihintale

Singapore
Level Contributor
339 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Climbing Sigiriya and Mihintale

HI, I will be climging Sigiriya with a senior (over 70). I read from an article elsewhere that there are helpers who could assit with the climb. May I know what is the cost of hiring one?

Is the climb Mihintale less tiring? We could be visiting them on consecutive days.

Mentioned in this post
Sigiriya
Sigiriya
Central Province, Sri Lanka
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Climbing Sigiriya and Mihintale

You should not pay those self proclaimed helpers at Sigiriya more then LKR 500-1,000. They will ask exorbitant amounts.

Mihintale is easier than Sigiriya.

Hans

Mentioned in this post
Sigiriya
Sigiriya
Mihintale
Mihintale
1,150 Reviews
Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka
Singapore
Level Contributor
339 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Climbing Sigiriya and Mihintale

Thanks.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
158 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Climbing Sigiriya and Mihintale

Dear fellow traveller,

if you did not climb Mihintale rock yet...

Beware !!! Mihintale rock starts with stairs cut out in the rock...then (just) a few stairs cut out in the rock...and then...no stairs at all any more !!! Just rock, rock that is very slippery when wet !!! And...you have to climb barefoot !!!

My wife fell and her leg wound had to be stitched by a doctor !

Singirya rock is higher but...stairs ! Stairs in stone or metal, a lot of them, but, stairs ! and not barefooted !

In my opinion Singitya rock is much, much more interesting.

Try the climb there, rest a lot, nobody is pressing you to the top, but do not make use of the helpers !!! Don't even let them reach for your hand once !

Have fun, and take care !

somerset uk
Level Contributor
375 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Climbing Sigiriya and Mihintale

I agree with the comment about the helpers at Sigiriya - they are a total liability and make the climb far more dangerous by getting in the way. They can be very persistent so a very firm NO is needed. Say you have done it many times before and DO NOT NEED HELP - good luck

Richard

Mentioned in this post
Sigiriya
Sigiriya
5. Re: Climbing Sigiriya and Mihintale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 06:16