We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Ferry to Train Station

Kent
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
From Ferry to Train Station

We are looking to return from Koh Samui to Hua Hin (Dolphin Bay Resort) and I am trying to work out best route for us (2 Ad , 10 year old).

We want to return by train (we're catching the Lomprayah bus from Hua Hin to Ko Tao on way out).

So two options appear to be Ferry from KS to Surat Thani then train or Ferry to Chumphon then train. I have considered pros and cons of both routes (short ferry, long bus transfer, longer train v longer ferry shorter train etc) and would prefer the KS via KT to Chumphon route. So my question is how do we get from Chumphon pier to train station - I couldn't see that this was included in ferry ticket on Lomprayah website.

We want to catch the 8.00am departure that arrives Chumphon 11.45am. Train 40 departs 12.46. Is this enough time to get from pier to station. Also, can we book the tickets from Hua Hin train station when we first arrive there before we depart for KT and KS?

Finally - what is the nearest station to Dolphin Bay - HH or Prachup Kiri Khan - and does train 40 stop at PKK?

Many thanks in advance of your help

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,931 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Ferry to Train Station

Hi and a response in part,

If you travel on the Lomprayah bus it will drop you off at the relevant pier. I couldn't find a train service which arrives at Chumphon at 11.45. Train 40 which departs Surat Thani at 10.40 does indeed stop at Prachuap Khiri Khan where it is due to arrive at 14.59. Expect this train to be at least a few minutes late.

Kent
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Ferry to Train Station

Thank you for your response.

Just to clarify - the ferry will be arriving at Chumphon at 11.45am. How do we get from the port to the train station - we want to catch the 12.46pm train to Hua Hin / Pratchuap Khiri Khan (whatever stop is nearest to the Dolphin Bay Resort).

Is one hour enough for the transfer?

Many thanks

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Ferry to Train Station

Hi

Lomprayah will offer a transfer to the station, I'd normally say an hour would be fine as it's about 30-45 minute transfer. Like Andy says trains often run late but ferries can too. Lomprayah are a very reliable company but are only as reliable as the weather allows.

We did the reverse journey and opted for ferry and bus. It was a touch longer journey time, but knowing both ferries and trains run late the potential for waiting around or worse, missing a connection was too great. The bus is operated by Lomprayah so if the ferry's late it doesn't effect the onward journey.

To answer your question, Lomprayah offer a transfer, when we last booked online it was included but people who had booked in Thailand had to pay extra. The transfer time is around 30 - 45 minutes depending on traffic. Don't know about which station is the closest.

Kent
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Ferry to Train Station

Many thanks - really helpful. We're doing the bus / ferry on way out. Just fancy doing the train journey back to Hua Hin. Going in August - so hopefully weather not too bad that time of year?

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Ferry to Train Station

Hi

Yeah the weather should be fine overall but obviously no guarantees on the day that there's no storms or rough seas.

I think you'll be fine.

Safe and happy travels

Kent
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Ferry to Train Station

Thanks again :)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Ferry to Train Station

It is 'tight' , you could make it but if the train was on time and you were a little bit late then all your plans would be messed up.

You could get off at either Prachuap Khiri Khan station or Hua Hin but the plus of getting off at Prachuap KK is that you would see different scenery on the way which otherwise you wouln't see, but would strongly suggest to get Dolphin Bay to meet you at the station to make it much easier to get to the resort.

In the end it is a chance, but one of those things that if connection doesn't work things can messed up. It is a holiday so you don't want to have to be looking at your wrist-watch every 5 minutes hoping you are on time :)

I don't have a schedule in front of me, what time is next train ? Possible it won't be until after dark (!)

If it was me I would probably chance it, as long as you don't panic if you miss it but simply laugh and look around for a decent car + driver to take you there, if you are relaxed about it fine, but don't stress over it, not worth it.

Kent
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: From Ferry to Train Station

Thanks Monica - I have used lots of your replies to other requests to help shape our upcoming visit. Think we will be quite relaxed about the journey - hence my original post trying to find out the options etc knowing what public transport can be like with weather affecting the sea and trains notoriously running behind schedule.

So, if all doesn't go to plan A - is it relatively easy to find a 'decent' driver and car - and roughly what would be the fare to PKK? As you say, the next train (slow) isn't scheduled until 19.36!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Ferry to Train Station

Not sure on price, but it is just on 275 km from the Chumphon station to Hua Hin, so to Dolphin Bay would be about 25 km less, so around 250 km, based on 'rough' prics for such a jounrye B 2,000 - 2,500 I would guess.

You would though have to hope for a decent driver but you 'should' be ok as for most the only fares they would get would be local so getting B 2-2.5k is a nice happy sum to make.

But anyway if the ferry is running late and you realise you are very unlikely to make the train then just do an 'add on' with Lomprayah staff and join the bus into Hua Hin.

I think by the time the ferry arrives at Chumphon pier you would have a pretty fair idea if you will make the train or not.

Glad you won't stress it, when I see travellers anywhere in the world stressing about something they have no control over I just wish they would appreciate the only ones 'suffering' are themselves, so forget the problem and get on with sorting an alternative, smile, and continue enjoying.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Ferry to Train Station

Just a side thought, after Hua Hin are you going to Bangkok for at least a night ? - reason I ask is that if you were, then you could do that rail journey instead, so you still get yout Thai train trip but no worries about anything running to schedule or not.