We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Tao to Bangkok via Chumphon

Which Chumphon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Koh Tao to Bangkok via Chumphon

Hi folks,

I know this has been asked before, and I have scoured the forums and internet for answers, but nothing seems to accurately answer my specific question as far as I have found.

Some context: We will be leaving Koh Tao January 4th and our flight home from Bangkok is on January 5th at 8AM.

We are scheduled to take a flight from Chumphon Airport to Don Mueang (Bangkok) Airport at 19:20 on January 4th.

My question is this: what is the best way to ensure maximum time on Koh Tao on the 4th but giving us enough time to get to Chumphon airport in time for our flight? Not only which ferry time, but also what mode of transportation from the pier to the airport?

The guesthouse at which we are staying on Koh Tao said they don't know if we will make our flight if we take the Lomprayah ferry that arrives Chumphon Pier at 16:30. Alternatively, the Lomprayah online customer service woman I chatted with said we should have no problem taking that ferry and then getting to the airport on time. I guess I'm particularly confused and unsure because of the language barrier I have experienced with both parties... While it would provide us peace of mind, we'd rather not take the earlier Lomprayah and spend all day in Chumphon if it's not necessary. That being said, this is not my first time traveling in SE Asia, and I am familiar with the likelihood of breakdowns and delays. I obviously prefer to avoid the possibility that the ferry is late and we miss our flight...

I'd love to hear what experienced people might suggest!

Many thanks!

Edited: 13 November 2013, 23:54
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,951 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Tao to Bangkok via Chumphon

I wouldn't chance it and would take the earlier ferry. You need to be at the airport at least an hour beforehand (45 minutes is the absolute minimum as after this the flights are closed)., so that means you need to be there by 18.20. I think you need to allow an hour to get to the airport once you are off the ferry, presuming that you have transport to the airport from the pier, if not this may take some time to organise (bus/taxi) and may require you to head into Chumphon Town first to get a taxi. If you are taking the Lomprayah Ferry I know they do drops offs in town, but I read somewhere they don't go to the airport, unless this has changed. So allowing an hour to the airport from the pier, that makes it 17.30, which still sounds like plenty of time, but if there are any delays (which as you know are quite common in Thailand) and especially as this is peak season and the ferrys will be full, I certainly wouldn't be happy with that timeframe. I'd get the earlier 08.00am ferry which arrives at 11.45 and grab some lunch in Chumphon, maybe do a bit of shopping etc.

Seattle, Washington
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Tao to Bangkok via Chumphon

Thanks Cassnu,

I'm wondering if you know of any other ferries that exist that could get us to Chumphon sometime between 11:45A and 4:30PM that might give us more time on Koh Tao? Obviously leaving at 10AM and taking a longer boat to get us in during that time is not a solution.

I have done some research and some websites say there is the Koh Tao Cruiser and the Songserm Express, but others say only the Lomprayah trips are worth it.

As always - if anyone else has any thoughts or suggestions on this itinerary, I would love to hear them!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,951 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Tao to Bangkok via Chumphon

The journey is long enough and Lomprayah is the quickest. The others are slower, but here's the Songserm timetable:

www.songserm-expressboat.com/en.php…

Koh Tao Cruiser seems to leave KT at 10.30 and arrive at 1pm.

You can check all of these times once you are in KT with one of the travel agents. This website has other options, but again I would check once in KT whether they are actually running or not or maybe one of the KT residents (experts) might be able to confirm.

chumphon.sawadee.com/transportation.html

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,530 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Tao to Bangkok via Chumphon

Hi elleciel, have you considered the chance of taking the joyned transfer sold by Lomprayah?

The ferry is the same, depart from KT at 14.45, but once arrived at Chumpon pier you just have to get on the bus. It arrives in Bangkok (KhaoSan area) at 00.30

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Tao to Bangkok via Chumphon

Hi

Have you booked your flight yet? If you have then contact nok air and ask them to change your ticket to a flight and ferry ticket and pay the difference. This leaves from Koh Tao on the 14.45 ferry, they bus you from the pier to the airport and then they fly you to Bangkok. If you haven't booked yet then book from Koh Tao not Chumphon. This means the airline are responsible to get you all the way to Bangkok regardless of delays.

Safe and happy travels

Seattle, Washington
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Tao to Bangkok via Chumphon

Thanks everyone.

I already have my flight booked. I contacted Nok Air to try and add the Fly n Ferry portion as lushlynds2506 suggested, but they denied my request. I don't see why this would be? They simply have to add the Lomprayah ferry fee and a bus transfer... any suggestions on how to proceed?

I could either contact them back and explain the situation and maybe ask them to reconsider or issue a separate "Chumphon pier to Chumphon airport" transfer for me, or alternatively I could chance it and take the same itinerary as they would arrange for me (book the later ferry and then find my own way to Chumphon airport)?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,951 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Tao to Bangkok via Chumphon

If it was me I'd book the same ferry and then try and blag my way on to the bus that goes to the airport.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Koh Tao to Bangkok via Chumphon

Hi

I'd book the ferry and once on Tao go to the Lomprayah office in Mae Head and see if you can arrange the transfer to the airport. They're pretty good and I believe Nok Air won't add it because Lomprayah probably run the transfer section and Nok don't want the hassle/responsibility?! If you can't add the transfer with Lomprayah then any of the travel agents on Tao will be able to help organise transport to the airport.

Safe and happy travels

Edited: 15 November 2013, 21:34
Seattle, Washington
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Koh Tao to Bangkok via Chumphon

I will look into those options. Thank you all for your great advice and help!

10. Re: Koh Tao to Bangkok via Chumphon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 14:15