We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quad Bikes Abroad

Travel Agent in...
Level Contributor
1 post
49 reviews
Save Topic
Quad Bikes Abroad

I am a travel agent working for the largest travel chain in the UK. If you are considering hiring a Quad Bike abroad please DO NOT! I was in Zante last year at the same time a Scottish lad called James was killed. I have also heard many horror stories from other destinations such as Malia, Ibiza, Faliraki etc.

Most insurance companies will not cover Quad Biking because it is too unsafe, no regulations or proper training needed to hire. On holiday I have seen many acts of stupidity by lads on Quads - all NOT wearing helmets. People doing wheelies, pulling out without looking at junctions, drinking alcohol (a vodka bottle no less!) and in Zante a guy with a broken leg resting it on the handle bars whilst drinking beer.

When selling holidays to groups of lads I always get asked about hiring bikes and I always tell them NO! I usually get laughed off and I know that many will still hire them in resort.

If you are going to go Quad biking (or hiring a scooter) please WEAR A HELMET and obey all the road rules as if you were at home, also check your insurance will cover the hire - it can cost many thousands of £'s to bring a body home or, if just injured, pay for treatment. Some companies will even do proper organised Quad tours so check them out. I know you may be trying to impress the girls, but you can impress them more by not being in abody bag!

So far I have been lucky. I do not want to be the travel agent that has organise the repatriation of a body because someone has been stupid enough not to follow common sense.

Thanks for reading and have a great SAFE holiday!

57 replies to this topic
West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
214 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Quad Bikes Abroad

Hi you need a full car driving licence for the quads, my daughter found out the hard way, the police stopped them withinn five minutes of setting off, they made them take the quad back and fined them €120 each, that was 5 years ago. They had a provisonal car licence, and a full bike licence.

Milatos
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Quad Bikes Abroad

I rent Quads in Milatos and I can assure you I have never assaulted anyone yet. :) The quads I rent out have insurance but the insurance covers the quad and if you damage it then you have a small responsibilty yourself. This does encourage our quad renters to behave sensibly. I refuse to rent out quads to people who want to take little babies on them sandwiched in between Mum and Dad. There are NO crash helmets for babies. For older children we have children's crash helmets. I always give helmets out with the quads and I always make sure that the person knows how to go the quad before they leave. I cannot stop people behaving like idiots and if I think that someone is going to act the fool with the quad then they can always go along the road to the other rental company. As stated Malia has quad renters advertising them for 10 Euros a day and that is to get the person in the door. They also often take passports from the people. I do not. I do agree that there are accidents on quads but you find the people who have accidents are the ones who drink. With a scooter if you drink and have too much the person cannot balance the scooter, with a quad with 4 wheels this is not the case and that is when accidents happen. If we ( my Bosses and I see our quads being driven dangerously we have been known to stop and take the keys. I am responsible and could not live with myself if someone died because I had not done my job to the best of my ability. I would also say that if you want to go any great distance you are much better to hire a small car with complete insurance with no excess.

One other thing - the quads with larger engines and faster speed requiire a FULL driving licence. The smaller ones can be hired with a bike licence. NO QUADS can be hired without a licence.

Milatos
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Quad Bikes Abroad

Oh and one last point.. If you have not your helmet on ( and in Malia the Police set up stops for quad and bike drivers,) the fine last year was 360 Euros each . So two on a quad is 720 Euros. Malia is not that big that you cannot walk about. And as I said if you want to travel any distance you are better and safer hiring a small car.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,501 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Quad Bikes Abroad

One of the most important points here is that most travel insurance policies exclude mopeds and quads from their coverage. This means NO MEDICAL COVER, NO EMERGENCY FLIGHTS HOME, NO COVER IF SOMEONE SUES YOU FOR THEIR INJURIES.

Not all accidents are the fault of the quad rider and if the person who causes the accident (drunk car driver, negligent pedestrian etc.) does not have this cover what are you going to do?

Providing you are well insured and careful then no problem! but ...........

Aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Quad Bikes Abroad

i would hire a quad myself if they were in good condition and the hire companies were interested in more than profit as i am a quad bike instructor(you would never get me on a scooter though, 4 wheels are better than 2). I do how ever agree with every word of the AgentBear comment, many times i have seen 2's up on a quad, no foot gaurds, riding with swimwear on and bare feet. Quads are great machines and a lot of fun can be had but only if you know what you are doing with them. People think when they are on holiday they are indestructable and develop the ability to operate any machine they fancy a go on. Its a pity that more organised training / hire companies could not be brought into existance or make it like scuba diving lessons with a standard for the companies hiring out the kit and running the tours. I would love to start a propper quad bike hire centre aboard but know i probably could not compete with the no maintenance cheap hire brigade.

Andy P

1 post
Save Reply
26. Re: Quad Bikes Abroad

Do you know old you have to be to hire one? I'm going to Cyprus & can't rent a car (have to be 21) and was wondering if I could hire a quad instead. I'm 17, nearly 18 and have a full UK driving license.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,501 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Quad Bikes Abroad

Hi David,

First, have a look at some car hire firms in cyprus on the internet. This question about hiring age limits came up several times recently about Greece. I contacted the Greek Embassy to get an answer. Their answer was that if you are old enough to drive in Greece, then you are old enough to hire a car. The age there is 18. However the insurance companies that insure the car hire companies often refuse to insure drivers under 21 or even 23. Some will insure those of 18, sometimes for small engine cars. Copy this question on the Cyprus forum.

As far as hiring a quad the same rules will probably apply. In other words it is up to the insurance companies.

Can I also suggest you read all the comments on this post especially about your own travel insurance restrictions.

Hope I haven't put too much of a downer on your plans.

Cheers

Bob

Milatos
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Quad Bikes Abroad

You only need a full car driving licence for the larger quads. The small 50cc and80cc are ok with a scooter licence,. You cannot have a quad with a provisional licence.. Your daughter probably was either in that category or the police tried it on. You must wear a helmet ( the quad renters in Malia do not insist on giving them out. The fine is 360 Euros for each person on the quad. I rent quads out and am professional when I rent them so I do know the rules.

Milatos
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Quad Bikes Abroad

Please be careful, if you have had a full driving licence for a year then you should be able to rent a quad. You are very young and if you have a bike licence ( once again for one year+) then you can rent a quad up to the cc that you are allowed with your bike. If you only have a provisional do not rent it at all because you will not be allowed to drive. Also you must take care because most of health cover excludes quads and scooter hire injuries. After having read this and you decide to get a quad PLEASE do not get a high capacity one. With your age you would be safer on the smaller cc.....AND PLEASE for your own sake WEAR A HELMET.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Quad Bikes Abroad

we just got back from a trip last week to malia in crete and our boys, against our wishes and judgement, were seduced by the 10 euros a day deal for a quad bike. They paid the money and then told by the men who run the shop to take out comprehensive coverage which they didn't have the 130 additional to pay. The people in the hire shop turned very nasty, very quickly. The money was returned only after an adult intervened on their behalf. A few days later several men pretending to be the police came around our boys' apartment (the shop had gotten the hotel and room numberwhen they filled out the initial paperwork); luckily the boys did not open the door and "the police" did not return. I dread to think what could have happened had they opened to the door. PLEASE be careful renting quad bikes...there might be reputable and decent shops from which to hire but none that we encountered.

Reply to: Quad Bikes Abroad
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Malia
Recent Conversations