We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muggings in Malia

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Muggings in Malia

Unfortunately I find myself having to warn people about muggings that are currently happening in Malia (June 2013)

We witnessed a gtoup of 5 young lads (17 - 19) running from the road by the Galaxy pub (Top of the strip) they were not drunk or rowdy and two of them had clearly been beaten. They were very scared and they said they were just walking along and a group of about 10 demanded Phones and wallets, before they could respond they were beaten.

We spoke to various owners (Hotels bars etc) about the incident and we were told it was not isolated, with the blame being laid on either Gypsies or Bulgarians, as we did not see the attackers (only the victims) we are unable to confirm who it was, the victims did tell us that the attackers did not appear to be other holiday makers.

The attack happened in the road opposite Kaza Pub that runs down the side of Galaxy pub, the route holidaymakers would use to return to the Frixos Hotel, The 4 Aegean Sky Hotels & the Maria Rousse hotels, as well as other hotels. We would suggest going further up to the main road then walking along and cuting back into the road when nearer your hotel if staying in this area, it seems that part of the other road is poorly lit and has a bend in it as well as various places for people to hide / escape.

Stay safe and enjoy your Holiday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,206 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Muggings in Malia

It's not entirely irrelevant, and as a generalisation I think it's a good deal more relevant than a report of a single incident that took place in Malia, a resort that is hardly typical of Crete.

I appreciate the point of your warning, but I think it's equally important to balance such warnings and make people who read them aware that such things are not common occurrences. I think npj60 felt the same. Alarmist reports of isolated incidents do tend to start off endless alarmist threads, and skew the real situation, which is that there is very little opportunistic crime in Crete.

12. Re: Muggings in Malia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 July 2017, 10:17
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Muggings in Malia

@ Alabastron

The warning is in the Malia forum and relates to malia, and in particular a particular road in malia,it is not a generic crete warning.

Your comment about "common occurrences" highlights the validity of the warning, as we were informed that it was not a one off, that road had been the point of a number of similar incidents.

The report is in no way alarmist, it is factual and measured, why anyone would want to surpress the truth is somewhat concerning, of prior importance is peoples safety, as opposed to your experiences in other parts of crete.

14. Re: Muggings in Malia

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 July 2017, 10:17
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,206 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Muggings in Malia

No-one is criticising you or suppressing anything, Barry: simply redressing the balance.

Note: posts that are made on a specific local forum also appear on the general "Crete" forum, which is where I saw yours: so anyone looking at the Crete forum will have seen it here as I did, and could easily have drawn the conclusion that Crete is a haven for muggers.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 22:41
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Muggings in Malia

I expect the rest of crete is like the other parts of Greece and very safe, in fact I would say Malia is probably safe, we had no problems ourselves, I probably would not have bothered with the warning if we had not found out that the same thing had happened in that area before, and it is a popular cut through for youngsters to and from the strip.

I wasn't aware this appeared on the general Crete forum, and I can imagine to general holidaymakers to Crete this type of event would be quite a shock.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Muggings in Malia

Have to say i disagree with your post about this road leading to the Maria Rousse, Myself and my wife returned home last night, after spending a great week at the Maria Rousse. We walked this road from the strip to our apartments nearly every night, never felt threatened, or uneasy, agree it is not well lite at night, but it is no worse than any other street of the main strip. We were walking home most nights around 1.30 to 2am. The Maria Rousse has a security guy called Tony, he is brilliant at his job, I know when the apartment area is quiet he also watches people walking past the apartments on the road out side, more as a way of looking after the apartments from drunks etc. But he still watches. We also walked all the way into Stalis, around 9.pm at night using the back roads,again never a problem!! Maybe we were lucky? But never once felt uneasy!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Muggings in Malia

@ leicesterlion

The fact that you did not encounter problems on the road is good to hear, we also did not have problems but we did witness a mugging and when reported we were advised it was not a one off, the hotel., Police and the council became involved and they said they would increase police patrols around the area, and there is pressure to resolve the lighting issue in the road.

With regard to Malia generally I would agree it was a safe area, we spoke to one bar owner local to the road and he said when it's very busy the "Gypsies" (Who they blame for the muggings) tend to be when its slightly quieter (it happened in June) and in the side streets as when it's busy there is a high likelyhood that the muggers would be confronted by other tourists.

At the end of the day better safe than sorry.

Dundee, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Muggings in Malia

Unfortunately this does happen, I found myself walking home fairly sober on my own some nights and witnessed this happen. Watch out for the Albanian hat sellers especially when walking down the bottom of the strip there tactic is to place a hat on the target as if they are having a laugh seconds later 5 mates will come and mug you.

20. Re: Muggings in Malia

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 December 2013, 21:05
Get answers to your questions about Malia