We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malia and the older traveller

Which Malia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Holywell, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Malia and the older traveller

whats malia like in May is it suitable for the more 'mature' holiday maker? Husband and myself are in our 40's.

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malia and the older traveller

Hi Amanda-we are now almost 50! We went to Malia sept 2008 & thoroughly enjoyed particularly in Old Malia. lovely bars/restaurants etc. Stayed at Malia Princess. You'll have no probs there esp in may as the resort will only be awakening from it's slumber! Go & enjoy,we want & will go back but not in july or aug for obvious reasons. Lots of places to see/things to do. Stalis is also a nice 30 min walk away as is Sissi-but a lot further to walk to. Yamas!

Holywell, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malia and the older traveller

Aww thanks for that, have seen a great last minute deal, but was convinced that as a more mature couple we would stand out like sore thumbs! so pleased to hear that wont be the case! x

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malia and the older traveller

No probs-go & enjoy. Malia-although not everyone's cuppa-is a nice resort. We liked it & we're not disco/clubber types. Old Malia is very nice-& the other side of the main road. There is a 200 year old bar (The Doma Bar) there & that is nice & cosy inside. Also try Durty Nelly's Irish Bar (Old Malia side street off main road). We walked to Stalis & Sissi (very nice village) & did Spinalonga/Agios Nicolas. Hope you book & enjoy-we did! Yamas!

Edited: 01 May 2014, 17:08
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,458 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malia and the older traveller

I agree, go for it!

Holywell, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malia and the older traveller

Yamas!! All booked and looking forward to it, fly out on 13th May!

Edited: 04 May 2014, 09:25
Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malia and the older traveller

Have a fab time in Malia. Pretty sure you'll enjoy & go with an open mind. Mid may will be a relaxing time & free from the bedlam of peak season. Been to Crete several times as well as other Greek Islands & always enjoyed. Lovely part of the world, great people/weather/food & ice cold Mythos. Nothing else required!! ENJOY. Regards.

Northants
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Sissi
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malia and the older traveller

Malia will be quiet when you're going. The main beaches should be fine for you without too much disturbance from young lads on tour!

Potamos beach to the east of Malia on the way to Sissi is lovely with two excellent taverna's for lunch, Gianni's/ Yianni's being my favourite.They say they sell the best Mythos in the area, they may be right!

Make sure you get yourself to Sissi for a day, it's a wonderful little place.

Milos Taverna in the old town is worth a visit.

Have a great time!!

Holywell, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malia and the older traveller

Really appreciate all your help thank you all!

Crete, Greece
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Malia and the older traveller

Hi Amanda,

My name Nikos

I live in Malia all my life

I find that in May Malia very good

I am almost 40 myself

And find that the summer months are very very good

Holywell, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malia and the older traveller

Husband and I visited Malia for a week (13t - 20th May 2014) had a fabulous time, weather was good, people are lovely, walked to Stallis one day that was very nice, another day hired bikes and cycled to Sissi, stunning little place well worth a visit, rest of the time was spent exploring the local area , loved Malia old town, had a fabulous meal in San Georgio one evening, beaches are stunning, enjoyed a cocktail or two watching the sun set! special mention to lady at the bull, she was lovely, we went there for a nice ice cold local beer on our first day, so we cold use the wifi, and visited several more times during the week, they do a great steak and English breakfast there! also special mention to all the lovely staff at the Danaides Apartments, very impressed with the cleanliness and maintenance at Danaides, gardens are lovely and enjoyed the pool and pool area and loved the private spacious balcony we had at no 406! would definitely visit again (but not in July August when the party season kicks off!) xxx

Edited: 26 May 2014, 21:14
Get answers to your questions about Malia