We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach lover

Oxford, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
beach lover

hello to all who have stayed at nastro azzurro!

we"ve booked up to stay june 2012 to get married in sorrento! I am concerned that after seeing many photos of sorrento that there doesn't seem to be much of a beach.I do like to spend my hols by the sea on the beach I don't want to spend two weeks by the pool!! There seems to be a frequent bus service from the hotel.

Is there a nice sandy clean beach in sorrento has it toilet facilities,is there a charge for sunbeds?

I'm worried I've chosen the wrong location for our honeymoon

Do you recommend the beach?

england
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach lover

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! - you have chosen a wonderful place. Unfortunately tho it's not the best place for beaches. The brochure says there is a shuttle bus transfer to a hotel with a beach but no-one mentioned it whilst we were there. The beaches we did see were small, pebbly and very crowded.

You won't be disappointed with the hotel, or the scenery, the service, the pool area and gardens, the staff or the food as everything else is just perfect - CC

Oxford, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: beach lover

thank you piece of mind to know that you recommend the hotel.we are thinking of a two centre holiday to get the seaside week! did you go ischia for a day trip?do you rate it did it have nice sandy beaches?

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach lover

There are beautiful sandy beaches on Ischia - do a search on tripadvisor for Ischia and sandy beaches, or 'spiaggia dei Maronti' which is just one of them....

You can get ferries from Sorrento or Naples to Ischia. You can also catch trains and buses further south on the mainland to places such as Santa Maria di Castellabbate, Paestum and Agropoli, where there are long sandy beaches too. These places are all still in the Campania region. Don't give up totally on Sorrento - it's a good 'hub for getting to Vesuvius, Herculaneum, Pompei, and the Amalfi coast (pebble beaches there) and to visit beautiful places in the sky like Ravello...the hanging gardens of Italy ! Ravello is, in effect, above Amalfi...so fantastic views of the coastline from up there. I understand you can get ferries from Sorrento/Amalfi areas to Salerno, then it's a short trip on the train to Paestum and places further south. We took a train from Naples. So you have several places you could use for a two centre holiday, if you feel trips from Sorrento are not enough and you want sandy beaches for more of the time. Have a great honeymoon - look for 'gelato artigianale' to get real, home made ice cream (there's no point eating factory produced ice cream in Italy - it's the same as anywhere else... it's the real homemade ice cream you want ! . And make sure the pizza is real pizza, cooked in a proper wood fired oven, with buffalo mozzarella - an unforgettable taste ! Don't be fobbed off with electric ovens. Enjoy the wonderful sunsets, nothing could be more romantic, and many good wishes for a happy marriage !

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach lover

Just to explain, Sorrento is on the higher coastline, on the cliffs, so you need a lift to get down to sea level. There is one part, down a spectacularly bendy, steep road to the port, that you can walk onto the beach from the centre of Sorrento itself. . there is also a public lift from the public gardens, although I don't know if it's still in use. Some of the more important, luxury hotels in Sorrento have their own private 'beach' and lift, but again it's from wooden platforms built out over rocks, and into deep water, so not a sandy beach. Unfortunately, most of this area around Naples/Sorrento has volcanic sand so it's black and not very soft - it doesn't stain your feet ! There is the softer, whiter/greyer sand towards the Lazio region, near Rome. Or, as I mentioned above, you can go down to the Paestum/Agropoli area for nice sand too. Ischia has some lovely sandy beaches and it's where the Neapolitans tend to go traditionally, for their holidays/weekends - although they go further afield too nowadays. Capri and Amalfi have pebbly beaches. A day trip to Naples is a must, too, one hopes that any further 'rubbish' problems will be sorted by the time you will be going out there. The centre (tourist area) tends to be kept clear of the rubbish problems any way, I understand. But there are places to visit and things to see there too - some love it, some hate it... you need to have a look at it and decide on longer stays or further visits another time ! So a day trip is good. The ferries from Sorrento go straight into the centre of the city so you land at the castle and town hall square...just walk around if nothing else ! But there are the old quarter to visit, etc. have a look on this website again for visits to Naples and what to see. You may think you want a two week beach holiday - but think about it a bit more... there's lots to do ! alternate days, visit Capri and Ischia, then visit the archaeological sites and then another beach trip.. then some museums... a boat trip to Amalfi ? A bus trip to Ravello .etc.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach lover

Hi there! You might try this link for photos of the beaches around Ischia...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/beaches

... and this one, for some taken on the island during the last few Junes...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/recjun

... or this - for way way too many more!

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/allaboutischia

There's a handy magazine - mostly bilingual - with lots of information for visitors, and the current edition can usually be downloaded as a PDF from the top of the list here....

ischianews.com/it/…2.html

Last June's is also available (three or four down, with "giugno" in the name), if that's of any interest?

Peter

Oxford, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: beach lover

hello nolana!

thank you ever so! you spent a lot of time replying you've given me food for thought1this is such a special trip for of us. yes we want a special location for a wedding(not a beach) classic and romantic.we are active people and like to run and walk in the morning and thought we maybe a bit restricted being on a hill.so we thought we would split it up.do you think it would be a drama carrying suitcases further down the coast to paesteum or do you recommend ischia woth it to do the boat trip?I like to relax by the sea during the day, I may sound miserable nolana but can't cope with walking in the june heat.

we are staying all inclusive at mo how do you rate these hb hotels?reckon we should bin it go bb and eat out? how much for a bottle of wine and a typical meal in the tourist towns?

lots of questions!

bridgeX

7. Re: beach lover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 23:15
Get answers to your questions about Piano di Sorrento