We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tourist tax

Which Piano di Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
edinburgh
Level Contributor
29 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
tourist tax

we will be staying at grand hotel nastro azzuro in september and have just read some other trip advisor reviews. one mentioned a tourist tax which has to be payed before leaving the hotel. can any one tell me anything about it.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,173 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tourist tax

Yes I read that and have still gone ahead and booked the Grand Nastro Azzurro today for next April for 2 weeks. I asked them at the Thomson Shop but they knew nothing about it when she rang someone at Thomsons reservations. She did say they had been notified about another area of Italy that had imposed the tax.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,909 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tourist tax

If there is a tax, it will be only a few euros.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tourist tax

Seems to have been approved only this February! As in most places here, it's payable in cash on checkout - with the hotel acting on behalf of the Comune.

You should see a notice up with the following wording:

The Municipality of Piano di Sorrento has established the tourist tax with City Council resolution no. 3 of the 20th February 2012. The tax is applied to the overnight stays of non-residents in the Municipality of Piano di Sorrento for a maximum of 7 consecutive nights. For this accommodation facility the tax amounts to Euros ___________ per person per night. The following exemptions are available: all those who stay in the months of January, February, March, November and December; people up to eighteen years of age; persons with severe disabilities; the carer of persons with severe disabilities.

And the rates appear to be:

5* €2.00 per person per night

4* €1.50 -"-

1,2 or 3* €1 -"-

.... which is pretty typical of the growing number of such schemes!

In a 4* place then, the ceiling is 7 x €1.50 = €10.50 per person

Fuller rules, in Italian:

…pianodisorrento.na.it/site/uploads/file/201…

Peter

Edited: 03 May 2012, 05:39
Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
892 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tourist tax

From what I can gather a lot of areas in Italy have now started levying this local tourist tax in Italy, I believe it started last year . I think it is only payable in the Summer months so will not affect everyone and doesnt cover the whole country yet. No doubt it will eventually be extended to the whole of Italy though and be payable throughout the year !Cheers, Tel

Edited: 03 May 2012, 06:44
Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,173 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tourist tax

Hi Peter,

Thank you and that confirms what was stated in the recent review.The Grand Nastro is 4 star and they said 1.5 euro's per night! There was I thinking we had escaped the entry visa charge for Turkey which now seems a bargain at £10 per person!! lol

Funny how the Travel Agents know nothing of this!!

Edited: 03 May 2012, 08:42
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tourist tax

As I recollect, aren't they only slightly above estate agents on the ladder of evolution?

I believe the schemes, like so many things here, were inspired by America! In New York, for instance, most rooms carry a tax of $2.00 per day plus 5.875% of the rent.... whatever that comes to?

But, being Italy, of course it had to be made as complicated as possible - in Venice they had to issue a 16 page leaflet to explain things!

Peter

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,089 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: tourist tax

In NYC, it is about 15% tax added to the base rate for a hotel.

I paid the tax in Rome in recently; Bologna didn't seem have instituted it - or, not yet anyway. Can't recall if I paid it in Venice.

It is such a small amount; I figure if I can afford to get all the way over to Italy, I can afford a few euros a night for the tax - it just isn't that much.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tourist tax

Exactly, Momcat. These Italian hotel taxes are tiny (in themselves, compared to the cost of the trip and compared to US hotel taxes) and we do enjoy the various government provided services while we are there.... (roads, for instance!).

Maidstone, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: tourist tax

we are going in june for 14 nights does that mean we pay the tax for all 14 nights or just for 7.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tourist tax

No, under the scheme in this resort it's up to a maximum of 7... subject then to various exemptions - see reply #3 !

Peter

Get answers to your questions about Piano di Sorrento