We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided Moderate-Strenous Hikes from Balestrand

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Guided Moderate-Strenous Hikes from Balestrand

I going to be in Balestrand for a few days and I'm looking for a guide/agency that can pick me up somewhere in town (I will not have a car), take me to the start of a hike, guide the hike, and take me back to Balestrand. I want something beyond the trails that start in Balestrand. I want a somewhat strenuous hike with altitude, but not technical. I don't want to be surrounded by a lot of other hikers. Any advice? Thanks.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,969 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Guided Moderate-Strenous Hikes from Balestrand

Yes, that is what it says when you choose Balestrand as departure.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Guided Moderate-Strenous Hikes from Balestrand

Balestrand IS my departure. See, even to use the trip planners, you already need to know about the bus system/routes. When I do Balestrand to Hellesylt and then Hellesylt to Oyer, the journey is over 12 hours.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
33. Re: Guided Moderate-Strenous Hikes from Balestrand

I've spent some time looking at bus routes from Geirangerfjord to Sognefjord for my own trip and as far as I can tell, the "easiest" route for you (without a car) is to take the bus from Balestrand (516) at 10:25 to Førde then pick up the 431 Fjordkspressen (Ålesund over Stryn) which gets to Hellesylt at 16.20. Then a taxi for the last 20 km to Øye. It's a long way but looks like beautiful scenery according to street view! I initially thought my "travelling day" would be a time to read a book but now think I'll be enjoying the views instead.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
34. Re: Guided Moderate-Strenous Hikes from Balestrand

Well done Kayw294. Changes of operators for some public transport services this year have made it more difficult to find the best route and timings, especially where services cross regional boundaries. One tip for anyone else using www.ruteinfo.net is that you have to enter the time as 00:00 to get all the services that day. It puts the current time in automatically..

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Guided Moderate-Strenous Hikes from Balestrand

I have decided to complete my Norway vacation, post Balestrand, by taking the boat back to Bergen, from there flying to Lofoten (Svolvaer), from there flying to Alesund, from there either taking the bus or flying back to Bergen (probably the bus). (This is actually no more expensive, maybe cheaper, and easier than the other options I was considering.)

Thank you Trip Advisors for your input.

36. Re: Guided Moderate-Strenous Hikes from Balestrand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 03:15