We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights in Balestrand

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Bay Area
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Topic
4 nights in Balestrand

We will have 4 nights in Balestrand next July (1-4). That gives us 3 days. I had planned to do a fjord cruise one day, visit the Jostedal Glacier another, and do some walking the next.

Now I realize that our preferred fjord cruise (the Fjaerland branch) takes us right to the Jostedal Visitor Center. Is this true? If so, we can do all of that in one day. (Is that right?).

So now I am looking for some more things to do.

How close is Balestrand to Jotunheimen National Park and Lom? Would it take us a long time to drive there? I have a new idea that maybe we could do something there, but I'm not sure what.

I'm looking for suggestions! Thanks!

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,140 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights in Balestrand

There is a glacier center in Fjærland, but it is not the same as the glacier center in Jostedal. In your previous post a few of us recommended to go to Jotedal to see the Nigardsbreen glacier and swing by the glacier/visitor center there.

I would follow your original plan. One day with a road trip to Jostedal. Another day the fjord cruise to Fjærland. The last day I would enjoy Balestrand and surroundings. No point in staying in Balestrand if want to go across the mountains to Lom. Learn to use google maps, it will give you driving distances and driving times.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
687 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights in Balestrand

Balestrand to Lom is about 4 hours drive. But the route is beautiful, so well worth it. If you do go then consider staying in Lom or somewhere close. Lom is the place for the highest mountains in Norway, and the village itself is quite cute, with a nice stave church

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,801 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights in Balestrand

I would not focus too much on exactly the national park, there are great landscapes all over this area. If you visit Jostedalen the glaciers and mountains there and the Lusterfjord will perhaps be enough

…panoramio.com/photos/large/43722826.jpg

…wordpress.com/2013/03/kopi-av-nye-bilder-05…

Going to Lom you have to travel Balestrand-Gaupne once more.

An alternative is to do "Tindevegen" from Turtagrø to Årdal (from Årdal return to Balestrand or continue via Tyin to Oslo), this route runs along the western side of Jotunheimen. High mountains in western Jotunheimen is often covered in clouds/fog.

…panoramio.com/photos/large/14277691.jpg

…blogspot.com/-vByWQWFCi6M/Th_feutxAvI/AAAAA…

Bay Area
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights in Balestrand

I think we will skip Lom and stay around the Balestrand area. I have google mapped Jostedal and it shows a road going north through Sogndal and Gaupne--but it never really shows Jostedal. I guess I just have to assume it is up there. (Does that sound like the correct route?).

All of my maps don't show Jostedal or Nigardsbreen either--and one of them is a very detailed road map of Norway. Confusing!

Thanks for all the help!

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,140 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights in Balestrand

Yes it is the correct route.

Google maps works for me when plugging in Nigardsbreen, here is the route on Google maps:

http://goo.gl/maps/KYH1v

Works for Jostedal also: http://goo.gl/maps/7dJ6J

If you follow the signs on the day you will have no issues getting there.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights in Balestrand

Thank you, Pippi!

7. Re: 4 nights in Balestrand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 03:15