We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Voss or Bergen?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
India
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Voss or Bergen?

Hi,

We (my husband and I) are planning to go to Norway around 7th September 2013. We are then planning to do the Norway in a Nutshell tour by ourselves. We are taking the train to Myrdal and onwards from there to Flam by Flambana on 9 Sept. Stopover in Flam on 9 Sept and then take the Fjord cruise from Flam to Gudvangen on 10 Sept. From Gudvangen, we are taking the bus ride to Voss via Stalheim. We are wondering if we should proceed to Bergen and stay over at Bergen or stayover in Voss on 10 Sept. Please advise

We would like to do some kayaking or rafting if possible, since we have never done it. However not sure, if the weather will permit the same. Is there more to do in Bergen or in Voss, since I am sure both the places are beautiful and scenic.

After this, we are planning to take the train to Stockholm for which I believe we need to get back to Oslo as the train is from Oslo only.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Voss or Bergen?

It really depends on what you would like to see and do where you make the stop over. Check out the official tourist web sites:

www.visitbergen.com/en

http://www.visitvoss.no/en/

Bergen is a bigger city. Voss is a small town.

I would not take the train from Bergen to Stockholm. You will be back tracking as you have already done parts of the train journey during Norway in a Nutshell. Much easier and not expensive if you book well in advance to fly. www.sas.no and www.norwegian.com

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Voss or Bergen?

I would continue from Flam the same day and stay overnight in Voss. You could then do an activity the next day with www.nordicventures.com. You will need to check in advance what is available in September. Finally you could take the very scenic Hardangerlinja bus from Voss to Bergen via the north side of the Hardangerfjord in time for your flight to Stockholm - much better than taking the train as Pippi says.

India
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Voss or Bergen?

Thank you. will check the air option from Bergen to Stockholm.

Also does it make sense to take a Scanrail pass since we are also going to be travelling in Sweden? I believe one will need reservation only in certain trains, else the pass will suffice. Is there a pass that covers rail, ferry and bus travel in Norway?

India
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Voss or Bergen?

Can we book the bus from Voss to Bergen after reaching there or do we need to do this in advance? If yes, then what is the site to do bus bookings?

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Voss or Bergen?

Rail passes are in most cases not the best value option in Scandinavia. Both NSB and SJ offer discounted tickets and if these are available it will save you money compared to the passes.

You buy the bus ticket when you board the bus from the bus driver.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Voss or Bergen?

Unless you plan to spend your entire holiday on trains, rail passes are too expensive to be interesting. Planning your trip in advance and booking discounted tickets directly from the train operators will be much cheaper.. Both in Norway and Sweden you will need reservations for all inter-city trains. Only on local trains can you travel without reservation.

There is no pass covering train, bus and ferries in Norway. In short, the rail pass is a bad idea.

From Voss to Bergen you can travel with bus or train. Bus tickets cannot be booked in advance. Train tickets can be booked in advance on inter-city trains, but most of the trains are local, so there is really no point.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Voss or Bergen?

For buses you just pay the driver on departure. Just be sure you know the time and place of departure as they nearly always leave exactly on time.

8. Re: Voss or Bergen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2017, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Voss Municipality