We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about stay in Mallorca

Dania Beach, FL
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about stay in Mallorca

We are two adults wishing to visit Mallorca for the first time in June 2011. We have read that Port d'Andratx is an elegant, upscale town to overnight in, our trip lasting about 7 nights in Mallorca. We intend on staying at Villa Italia. If anyone may offer advice to us regarding Port d'Andratx particulars regarding the beauty of the town, food, shopping at the port an such, most obliged. We really do not know where else to stay/hotel choices on the island that may offer a small sized hotel, away from large block hotels and crowded beaches, in a charming coastal village. The best we have been able to locate is Villa Italia in Andratx. Any assist will be so helpful before we make a final decision. Tarquin.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about stay in Mallorca

Pto Andraitx is beautiful.Trendy,expensive,quite remote.Wouldn't want to stay there for more than a few days.It is a long way from Andraitx to Pto Andraitx.

Lichfield, England
Level Contributor
472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about stay in Mallorca

Hi Tarquin,

Villa Italia is a fabulous hotel, stayed there many times. Very elegant, good restaurant, fantastic bar and great views over the port. If you fancy splashing out on a suite request room number 2, absolutely huge, very contemporary with an amazing view and your own terrace. There's not much in the way of shopping but the restaurants are superb. Our favourite is Rocamar which is only a few minutes walk from the hotel.

We have a week in June every year and split the time between Sa Pedrissa in Deia and Villa Italia. Deia is in the mountains on the West coast. From what you say I would think Sa Pedrissa would be perfect for you. Family run, only eight rooms, on the outskirts of the town so very quiet, a haven of peace and tranquility. It's perched high on the cliffs with spectacular views of the mountains and the bay of Deia, arguably one of the best views on the island. Our favourite room is number one, a suite with a small balcony, but they have a sea view room which is actually a small cottage in the grounds overlooking the bay, but it's very pricey! Deia has an abundance of restaurants and bars, from simple tapas, to Michelin star!

Dania Beach, FL
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about stay in Mallorca

Thank you for your considerate help! I did check on Sa Pedrissa hotel, as you recommended. Liked what I viewed from a site--booking.com--

but cannot locate a direct website page for the hotel. Do you know of a direct email/website for the Sa Pedrissa? Also, you recommended room number 2 at the Villa Italia--we did tentatively book Room 201, a Royal Suite, on the left side above the restaurant--a large suite. Is this the room type you mentioned? They have the Royal numbers 201 and 202, and they look identical, except 202 is more exposed to staircase, while 201 seems up against the nearby trees, etc. Any help you can provide to us on Sa Pedrissa is so appreciated, believe me! Tarquin.

Lichfield, England
Level Contributor
472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about stay in Mallorca

Hi Tarquin,

it's www.sapedrissa.com. It's a good website with great photographs of all the rooms, the views and the gardens. Room 1 is a small suite but the beauty of it is the small balcony which overlooks the swimming pool area and that magnificent view. The sea view suite is lovely, we splashed out on it in June, but we actually preferred room one and it's less than half the price! The whole of this coast is stunning, amazing views, lovely sleepy little towns and fabulous restaurants.

Villa Italia... my fault, it is 201, and we had that in June too.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,892 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about stay in Mallorca

We stayed in Port d'Andratx for 6 days in June. I would have to agree it is a clean and smart town with a large marina which attracts the more affluent and discerning visitor. I did however find it a bit too soulless for our tastes. You really could be in any any small well to do marina town in the Mediterranean, it lacks any real individual character. We did enjoy our stay there and appreciated the fact it is very relaxed clean and civilised but it has no real Mallorcan feel to it. We didn't stay at the Villa Italia but It does look rather nice stylish small hotel. Our experience of the places we ate at were that the food in general was pretty average at best and considering the prices we paid would have to say very poor value.

I have to say that 08kate02's recommendation in Deia looks extremely nice and in one of Mallorca's beautiful traditional towns.

Have a look at this web site it has some other great hotels on great locations http://www.theothermallorca.com/

Dania Beach, FL
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused about stay in Mallorca

Thanks, Kate, for the excellent advice on Sa Pedrissa. Fantastic hotel. We agree we must visit there next summer. Which month do you recommend for ideal weather conditions? We have June through August to choose from, so it's a matter of rain chances--and crowd control! How are the crowds in June? Will we experience any trouble driving around the island with crowded roads in August over June? Parking issues? I take it Sa Pedrissa has available car park? And, I hate to pose more questions, but here's another: We are torn between the Sa Pedrissa tower suite, the sea view suite, and the garden suite. We'll leave room 1 for you, in case we arrive at the same time! The garden suite (I take it is the cottage) has a limiting picture of the outdoor cottage area. We seem to really cotton to the sea view suite. If you had to choose one, given your extensive knowlede of the hotel, which one of the three, do you think? Thanks again. You have been such a help, believe me! Tarquin.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused about stay in Mallorca

Tarquin, I am going to throw a spanner in the works as I know you would prefer a seaview but, may I suggest that you have a look at Reads Hotel, Santa Maria, north of Palma, but with a hire car it is so easy to get to the coast.

Reads is a Relais & Chateaux, privately owned hotel, with a spa, a superb swimming pool and wonderful chef. You may just like to read my review from October last year.

The key here is to have a hire car so that should you decide to eat In Port d'Andratx one evening you can be there in thirty minutes, ditto Soller,or perhaps Marc Fosh's restaurant in Palma ( Marc used to be the chef @ Reads ).

We looked at La Residencia and Reads for our two week holiday last year and we are so glad that we discovered Reads. It's a little gem and we shall certainly return.

Kind regards

Judith

Lichfield, England
Level Contributor
472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused about stay in Mallorca

Hi Tarquin,

taking your questions in order... I'd suggest late June, you'll miss the crowds of people with children on school holidays and we've always had fantasic weather...

We've visited Majorca for the odd twenty years and traffic has never been a problem... Sa Pedrissa has plenty of parking space so no concerns there. Regarding rooms, it's all about priority, with me, it's a sea view. You will only get a view of the mountains with the garden view. Yes, it is a cottage in the grounds behind the sea view "suite". The sea view suite has a large lounge with a kitchen, fridge freezer, TV etc, french windows to outside. Nice bedroom with doors to outside. But the outside area is very small... there's a small table overlooking the amazing view down to the bay and two loungers taking in the mountain view. Personally we thought it was overpriced, but you are secluded. Regarding the Tower Suite... haven't stayed there but it's high up with great sea views and obviously very private. It has a large balcony but it is walled... not sure if you could see the views from your lounger... may not bother you but it would me! Probably your best bet but may be worth asking the question!

I wouldn't discount Port d'Andraxt though. I hear what the previous poster says regarding another marina in the Med but I do think this place is rather special. The place buzzes on an evening, restaurants packed with people clearly having a wonderful time. Villa Italia is certainly worth a visit. We tend to have five days at Sa Pedrissa and two at Villa Italia. Don't miss Palma either, stunning cathedral, great restaurants, and check out the boats in that marina!

Judith, that looks like a very special place... if it had a sea view I'd be booking it today!

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,892 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused about stay in Mallorca

Have to agree with June being the best time to visit, as 08kate02 says the weather is great, sunny but not stiflingly hot, the island is relatively quiet with no crowds. In June driving is a pleasure, you may find the roads around Palma busy at rush hour but other than that the roads ere very quiet and driving is very laid back.

10. Re: Confused about stay in Mallorca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2011, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Port d'Andratx