We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costa brava/la franc

nyc
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
costa brava/la franc

I am in the process of trying to figure out a 3-4 week trip for me and my 5 year old daughter. I have heard great things about La Franc and the Costa Brava area. Since I don't speak Spanish I would even like to be involved in Spanish immersion lessons, but then have to think about babysitting options (although I would love for my daughter, who was born in Guatemala, to also take lessons).

So, I would appreciate any feedback on traveling in this area with a 5 year old! We do like beaches (she loves pools), short hikes in mountains, museums and any kid-friendly fun trips.

thanks!!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: costa brava/la franc

Llafranc is in a really nice part of the Costa Brava, very popular with families. Most Spanish visitors are from Catalonia in fact (so many speak Catalan together rather than Castilian Spanish) but also popular particularly with the French and the Dutch.

We've been spending a beach week in the area since our son was 5 or so (he's now a teenager). Gala Dalí's castle at Púbol wd be a fun visit esp. the gardens. Boat trip too (mainly from L'Éstartit). There's a water park in the area (Palafrugell??)

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: costa brava/la franc

We have taken our small grandchildren to the area around Llafranc many times and they have always loved it. We prefer Calella de palafrugell to Llafranc but they are just adjacent to each other and there's a lovely cliff walk from on eto the other which only takes about 20 mins or so and which I can highly recommend. The sand at Llafranc is finer than at Calella de P which is more coarse but it's never seemed to bother the children! You really need a car to get the most out of the area as public transport isn't very good but the roads are very quiet in the main and driving is easy. There is a water park near Playa D'aro which we didn't like much as there were loads of flies there but there is a better, larger one near Lloret de Mar which about an hour away from Llafranc. Our small ones also enjoyed a visit to the inland lake at Banyoles and the boat trips you can get there (also about an hours drive away). estartit has lots of boat trips, glass bottom boats, yellow submarine and is a more touristy resort which many more shops. Nice for a day trip and then back to beautiful Llafranc. It's hard to oversell the area it's so lovely - we've never found anywhere to compare with it.

3. Re: costa brava/la franc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 13:20