We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping La Siesta

Tunbridge Wells
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Camping La Siesta

We're thinking of going to La Siesta campsite next August but are trying to get away without hiring a car for the entire holiday. We're on a really tight budget and with 6 of us car hire is really expensive. We've managed to source reasonable transfers but does anyone know if there are any car hire places in Calella de Palafrugell so that we could maybe hire one for a few days? Also, are the food shopping facilties fairly good in the main resort? Campsite shops are always really pricey! Thanks

Bristol
Level Contributor
398 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping La Siesta

Hi Misskristina

Never stayed at the campsite but I do know there is at least one car rental place in Calella de P on the sea front fairly close to the tourist office.

There's at least one small supermarket at the back of the seafront shops / cafes but I'm not sure if this would be convenient for you without a car or any cheaper. Any big supermarkets will be in Palafrugell.

This is definitely a place you need a car.

Hope this helps

Tim

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping La Siesta

I'm afraid the food shopping facilities are very poor near the site. As previously stated you will have to go into Palafrugell for the supermarkets. The nearest one to the campsite is/was Carrefour and I would think will take you around 20-30 minutes to walk too. Intermarche is probably another 5 minutes further away.

I'm there in a months time so will keep an eye out for car hire places in the resort and will pm you details (name and number) on my return.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping La Siesta

There is a smallish supermarket on the campsite and several others within 10 mins walk or so - 2 down in the village and another on the road leading down to Canadell beach. All of the 3 latter we have used and while the prices are higher than the large Palafrugell supermarkets they are not outrageous.

We have often seen people walking back to the campsite from the nearest Palafrugell supermarket laden with carrier bags but this is not something I would want to do in the August heat! There are regular buses to Palafrugell from outside the campsite so this may be another option for you.

However I have to agree that you do need a car to get the most out of this beautiful area. It would be a pity to come and not see more - although CDP and Llafranc are both lovely.

What we did once was to hire 2 small cars rather than one large car as it worked out much cheaper. If you then offset the cost of your airport transfers, any bus fares, taxi fares etc., from the car hire cost it does tend to seem more reasonable. This is only an option of course if you have 2 drivers in the party.

england
Level Contributor
324 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping La Siesta

I agree with sammy'sgranny.If you factor in transfers, the additional costs of food and drink you incur by using the camp supermarket and any buses you take from the cost of hire car then hire car becomes a cheaper option, you could get two cars for about £240 which is a lot of money I know but would enhance your holiday a lot. Hiring a large car for a few days from C de P will cost quite a lot too.Another option would be to get one small, cheap car for shopping, transfers for 4 of you and day to day activities, 2 people could travel to the campsite by public transport (see SARFA website for details)and you would be able to see some of the surrounding area, Tamariu, Aguablava, begur etc even if you had to go out in smaller groups.

Obviously this may not be at all suitable for your family circumstances. Also when I have been at La Siesta with a car I have given other residents a lift to supermarket, you may be lucky and get friendly neighbour like me!!! Whatever you decide, enjoy your holiday.

5. Re: Camping La Siesta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Costa Brava
Recent Conversations