We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which beach is better?

Singapore
6 posts
Save Topic
which beach is better?

Hi to all,

My husband and i are gonna be in Spain for 2 weeks, travelling with 2 kids. we would like to spend 1-2 days on a beach resort. WE've read up on Costa Brava, Costa Blanca and Costa Del Sol. Any recommendations which is a better choice? We are looking for somewhere with a nice sandy beach, picturesque settings, and a lively resort scene.

thanks in advance.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: which beach is better?

I'm not partial, as I lived in BCN and owned a house in the Costa Brava.

I love Costa Brava...check this website:

http://www.costabrava.org/

The great advantage of Costa Brava is that each beach has its own different views and landscape...

and you can more than going to the beach visiting little villages and towns...

enjoy it...

Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which beach is better?

thanks for you reply. any recommendation which is the nicest beach to be at? our preference:-

-preferably not so inconvenient to get to (with 2 kids)

-nice restaurants

-sandy beaches

thanks.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: which beach is better?

When are you travelling? Next summer?

Maybe if you're looking a sandy beach and close to Costa Brava, where you can do short trips to see something else is Tossa de Mar, Blanes or Lloret de Mar. It's a mixed between sandy beaches and Costa Brava beaches...I'd rather recommend you Tossa de Mar, it's less crowded than Lloret de Mar. And you've got the option to visit Barcelona, Girona,etc which are not far from there (less than 1 hour).

enjoy,

Norfolk
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which beach is better?

Trouble with most of the beaches in Costa Brava are their steep entry into the water making them unsuitable for younger children.

Not sure how the kids are but assuming they're under 12's, I'd steer clear of Malgrat, Calella but Lloret is well worth a visit - at one end of the beach (the castle end), it peters out into a small cove and was great for a nice easy swim with clear water - take goggles/swim masks too as there were some pretty fish to look at when we were there a couple of weeks ago.

Enjoy !

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
915 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which beach is better?

The northern part of the Costa Brava is by far the best in my opinion. Don't be put off by the comments about the steep access to the sea for children as this is not the case in my experience and we've been going for many years with children and then grand children.

Google Calella de Palafrugell and Llafranc or Tamariu for starters. The area is quite beautiful and still very Spanish is you know what I mean.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,717 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which beach is better?

You do not say when you are traveling. If you are traveling in fall or winter, the Costa del Sol will have better weather, and it does not shut down during that time since it is a resort open all year.

I have enjoyed the Costa Brava, but I went during the off season and in many places about 70% of the stores and hotels were closed.

San Sebastián
Level Contributor
84 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which beach is better?

I agree with sammysgranny. North of the Costa Brava is really wonderful. And you can visit the Dali Museum in Figueres. Your children will love it! With sandy beach and lively, I like L´Estartit (just in front the Medes islands, a diving paradise, and very close to the Roman ruins of Ampurias). But you should go in summer because of the weather.

Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: which beach is better?

thanks to all for your comments

Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: which beach is better?

thanks to all for your comments

10. Re: which beach is better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2010, 07:16