We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a car necessary?

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is a car necessary?

We would prefer not to drive, just take buses and trains wherever we want to go to explore. We like the sounds of Begur as a base. I understand that it has nice restaurants, beaches etc within easy distances. Can we get away without a car staying there or would you suggest another area in Brava?

Also we should be there the 1st 2 wks of September. Weather wise should it still be very good for swimming?

Thanks

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a car necessary?

Would appreciate everyone's imput! Thanks

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
62,417 posts
3,711 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a car necessary?

Elisa:

I stayed in Lloret de Mar a few years ago and did not need a car. Many hotels have tours availabe to bring you around the area. And there are buses also. You may find the water at the beaches a bit chilly in September. Also in September many businesses shut down after summer.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a car necessary?

Thank you Benny,

Really? chilly in September? I would have thought it stays warm as the south of France and Italian Riviera. What area would still be very warm then? We will be there the 1st 2 wks of September

Bristol
Level Contributor
400 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a car necessary?

Hi

As far as the sea temp is concerned it obviously depeneds on what you're used to. I think you'll be fine. The water temp is at its warmest at the end of the summer. We were in Llafranc last september.

Refer back to your earlier post for car comment.

Tim

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a car necessary?

Thanks Tim,

We like to enjoy the best of both worlds when we travel. The sea just to chill every other day, and interesting places to visit in between.

I did read your post re the car. Really and truly we want to do this without the car. We did the entire Italian Riviera just with public transport and did fine. What area would you suggest then where the beach and dining are within walking distance and transportation, whether bus or train are available even if it is feasible only in a round about way.

Thanks in advance

Spain
Level Contributor
786 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a car necessary?

Hi,

I'd say whether you need a car or not depends pretty much on what you want to do. There are local busses and trains to lots of places in the area but obviously having a car would give you mor flexebility.

Certainly swimming in September will be no problem !

Hope this helps

Edit: I think the local bus company is sarfa

Edited: 23 April 2010, 15:59
Bristol
Level Contributor
400 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a car necessary?

if you're dead set against a car, then Begur itself will be a good base as its an interesting little town with choices of places to eat. You can get there by sarfa bus from BCN and transport links to other places are reasonable. However its not quite on the beach. There is a local bus that runs down to Sa Riera beach in the summer but I dont know if this is still running in september.

Otherwise, based on the places you've shown an interest in then Calella de Palafrugell would be a good bet. This can be reached by bus from Palafugell, is slightly larger than the other costal villages in the area, so has various eating places, and beaches. Plus you can walk round to Llafranc in about 20 - 30 mins on the costal path.

Tim

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,435 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is a car necessary?

Sea is warmer in early September than early July (two months of sun to wram it up! The real end of summer here is after La Diada (11th September) a local holiday but it's true that things start to get quieter towrds the end of August .

The bus service isn't good at all in central Costa Brava, and there is no train at all because between Blanes and Llancá, near the French border, the line is well inland via Girona and Figueres). So yes you could manage without a car but you'll miss out on discovering a lot in the area which is a shame as it's beautiful.

I don't know the Italian Riviera but think things are probably more connected (like the Maresme coast near Barcelona, or Costa Daurada south of Barcelona). However neither of those "costas" have the charm of the Begur area. That's why we go back year after year for our beach week (main holiday this year will be your part of Canada though!)

Edited: 23 April 2010, 16:22
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is a car necessary?

Wherever you stay in the area around Begur, you will not find it easy to get around and make the most of your stay without a car. The roads are good, well signposted and not busy so driving is not a chore.

The sea in September is normally like a warm bath - lovely.

10. Re: Is a car necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2010, 06:33