We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Please! Looking for a nice spanish resort

Cumbria
Level Contributor
533 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Help Please! Looking for a nice spanish resort

I'm looking for ideas about where to go this summer for 3 weeks for a relaxing holiday. We would be happy to stay in just one place or split our time between 2 or 3 resorts. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children (aged 10 and 7 years).

We are considering buying a holiday home abroad (country as yet undecided!), so if we decided Spain is the place we would like to return to year on year, we would want somewhere that we could visit all year round. We spent a few weeks in Greece last year and love it, but it seems to "close down" more over winter than Spain.

We are looking for somewhere within an hour or so of an airport. Within walking distance we would ideally like a nice beach, restaurants, shops, etc, but nowhere too overly developed. To give you an idea, we don't like Brits Abroad places like Bendiorm or Salou and like the idea of a fishing village, or similar.

I would welcome any ideas or suggestions! Thanks!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,225 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Please! Looking for a nice spanish resort

Actually lots of Spaniards holiday in Salou in the summer, esp. from Aragon and Navarra as it's the nearest coast for them.

The Costa Brava does close down in the winter to a large extent except Lloret and Tossa so you'd better look elsewhere if you want it lively all year round. A shame though to miss it off completely as it really is a wonderful area for a summer holiday.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
533 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Please! Looking for a nice spanish resort

Thanks Lynda - the main appeal of Spain for a holiday home for us is that it's close enough to visit for a long weekend, so we would want somewhere with a little bit of life all year round. Thanks for the advice though.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Please! Looking for a nice spanish resort

I agree with Lynda, lots of places on the Costa Brava close down in the winter, however, the main towns are open and in my opinion, there is enough going on. I live in Begur, walking distance to the beach, and for me, I love the peace and quiet of the off season months. If you´re happy to drive 40 minutes to Girona, there is certainly lots going on in this beautiful city.

Roses is a much busier resort with more going on in the winter, but it is more touristy than e.g. Begur, so it´s ´swings and roundabouts´.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Please! Looking for a nice spanish resort

Have a look at Javea ("Xabia" in Valencian) , between the airports of Valencia and Alicante.

Javea is not a fishing village , but a town with about 30.000 inhabitants (50% not spanish from 84 nations ) and open all the year .

Anyway it is still a spanish town . Of course a lot of british people live there , but Javea is not to compare with Benidorm or Salou.

The majority of summer tourists are from Spain and France

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,225 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Please! Looking for a nice spanish resort

Hi Denise, I know lots of people up there like the peace and quiet (and not having long queues at the supermarket!). Friends of ours have an apartment in Pals and love the winter months and the sometimes dramatic weather (when all the surfers turn up). But I can see that for a long weekend from England it's not what people are wanting with a second-home in Spain. Same as they won't choose Asturias, which is fabulous with things going on all year round but a bit like a second-home in Cornwall in terms of the weather.

Apart from debating its charms, Roses is further to drive from Girona airport, let alone Barcelona, so less convenient for a short break

Molineros a town with 50% foreign residents, many of whom won't speak Spanish, isn't a 100% Spanish town that's for sure! I doubt Salou has 50% foreign residents.

Cambrils is near Salou but smaller and a fishing village, maybe that's more like it?

For a town (major fishing port) of 30,000 people with a life of its own you could look at Vilanova i La Geltrú, south of Barcelona, around 40 mins from Barcelona by train. It has a railway museum, an art museum, traditional carnival celebrations etc etc.

NB. Roses is quite a way from any airport even Gironso not great for short-breaks

Edited: 26 April 2010, 08:33
Cumbria
Level Contributor
533 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Please! Looking for a nice spanish resort

I have a friend who went to Cambrils for a holiday and they really liked it. What would it be like there in the winter months?

Germany
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Please! Looking for a nice spanish resort

To spend summerholidays and to buy a home to stay there for several weeks , also in winter, is a big difference.

If you buy a house it is very useful do this in a area where not only in the restaurants english is spoken and I'm sure you want sun , also in winter.

A house owner needs caretaker , craftsmen etc. and friends speaking the own language .

Therefore my recommendation was Javea and not Cambrils .

Before you buy : spend holidays in both resorts , not only in peak season , but also in winter and decide then

8. Re: Help Please! Looking for a nice spanish resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2010, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Costa Brava
Recent Conversations